Amerika, From a Different Perspective

[ot-caption title=”Rafael Ferrer’s work relates to the immigrant experience in America. (via Alina Carey, Senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ResizedImage450338-Ferrer-Artforhum-1971-neon-18-x-90-inches-ed-1-of-3-e1413133408960.jpg”]

Franz Kafka was a German writer of novels and novellas in the 20th century. His first novel–which he never finished– is entitled Amerika. Kafka wrote Amerika about the experience of immigration to America and the oppressive government system that immigrants had to cope with in the early 20th century.

This year, the David Costillo Gallery in Miami decided to take on the challenge of emulating the harsh occurrences that surround the experience of living in a foreign country. The gallery named their exhibition Amerika, after Kafka’s unfinished work. The exhibition concentrates on the abstract and alien-like qualities of the immigrant experience.

Last weekend, I decided to take a trip to Miami to view the exhibition. The artwork honed in on the elements of living in a foreign country combined the material and abstract qualities of American symbols. Some artwork was easy to interpret, whereas others– such as the pieces by Shinique Smith and Pepe Mar – were more abstract, and therefore had a wider variety of interpretations. Several of the pieces focused on foreign cultures being undermined by the proud culture in America. Works from regional, national, and international artists are displayed at the exhibition. Amerika includes well-known artists such as Lyle Ashton Harris, Wendy White, and Huma Bhabha.

The picture featured is an artwork that caught my attention while I was at the gallery. The statement is concise: “ART FOR HUM.” The American flag colors illicit familiar memories that the viewer has towards America, and therefore can have several different responses depending on the viewer. My interpretation is that American individuals usually solely associate America with patriotic American male individuals. I found the misspelled last word to be representative of the mispronunciation of the word “him” that foreigners can make. As an American-born individual, I looked at the piece and expected it to say “ART FOR HIM.” I loved the statement that the artist, Rafael Ferrer, created that is tied to national pride and culture.

The David Costillo Gallery picked a variety of works with a range of interpretations of American culture. The gallery gave insight into the views that foreigners can have on something that we, as American citizens, are so comfortable with. I think it was a bold, fresh, and well-needed exhibition on the effects of American culture on the lives of immigrants.

Amerika opened September 26, 2014 and will be open until November 15, 2014. For more information, visit http://www.davidcastillogallery.com/