At the Table with the Homecoming King and Queen Nominees

[ot-caption title=”2014-2015 Homecoming Court nominees (back row, left to right): Alex Gibstein, Aevin Sanjay, A.J. Sacks, Garrett Levine, Matt Cibene. (Front row, left to right): Brittany Paris, Olivia Paul, Siobhan Boroian, Bella Polley, Jillian Castoro (not pictured). (via PCTV)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/featuredhoco.jpg”]

It is somewhat odd how Pine Crest is a relatively small school, yet most of us are not familiar with all of our peers. This year’s Homecoming Court nominees meet this description. Although students may not know the nominees personally, the student body will in fact vote for their Homecoming King and Queen.  So for anyone who does not know the candidates very well, this interview can be a nice helpful tool to get to know the nominees.  Overall, every candidate is qualified for the Homecoming Court in different, unique ways.  

So, here I sit with a group of seniors with an interesting change in scenery: the PCTV studio on a comfy couch. The last members of the court come straggling in as Siobhan Boroian, Matt Cibene, Jillian Castro, Brittany Paris, Aevin Sanjay, Garrett Levine, Olivia Paul, and AJ Sacks sit before me, eight out of the ten king and queen nominees. Bella Polley and Alex Gibstein could not make the interview.

For those unfamiliar with the voting process for the Homecoming Court, the senior class starts by choosing five girls and five boys to serve as the nominees that the entire school proceeds to vote for. The candidates had different reactions when hearing of their nomination.  “I mean Matt Cibene campaigned for like a month,” everyone agrees. “I did not!” He shouts, “I put one note on the board!” Jillian Castro had a completely different experience, explaining that she originally thought she was in trouble because Mrs. Doolittle kept emailing her. She recalls, “I would delete the emails because I was nervous.  I was really happy when I finally read one of them and heard the news!”

The most excitement for the King and Queen nominees might be coming from the students’ parents. Olivia Paul notes, “My mom goes into every store and brags to the ladies about my nomination. It is a little embarrassing!” Brittany Paris certainly agrees adding, “I know. My mom is more excited than I am!” Hilariously, Garrett Levine has been attached to a thread of family emails, as he explains, “They continuously congratulate me on my nomination. It is getting to the point where it is out of control!” But it is all in good fun, as all the candidates express how grateful they are to be nominated by their peers.

The Homecoming King and Queen nominees represent the school in an honorable and unique way. Siobhan Boroian and AJ Sacks seem to be doing just that. It is no surprise that Senior Class President Siobhan’s favorite part of school is easily Homecoming. On the other hand, AJ Sacks really enjoys his academic classes explaining that Biology is his favorite part of the day. The other students agree that AJ was guaranteed a spot on the court because of his quiet and polite personality that seems to always win others over.

Aevin Sanjay has a unique approach to the interview. He certainly adds humor, constantly, and jokingly, belittling the other nominees and even himself. “I think I was one of the dark horse nominees for this court,” Aevin says facetiously. Everyone constantly laughs out loud at his remarks as his wit keeps everyone on their toes.

Finally, the nominees are asked to choose their favorite Homecoming King and Queen movie moments. Mean Girls was a fan favorite for all of the seniors, agreeing that “If Brittany won, she would definitely distribute the crown like Cady.” Brittany laughs, but contests, “No! I would want to keep the crown for myself!”

Each one of these students has his or her own strengths and will be a great selection if chosen to be Homecoming King or Queen.  The interview ends, although their upbeat spirits and booming laughter continues, even as I walk out the door.  These nominees really embody our school’s spirit and show what our student body is really about.

[ot-caption title=”Homecoming Court nominees (missing Jillian Castro) Photo credit: Addison Ricci ” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/court2.jpg”]