Students for Organ Donation Awareness

“How can I become an organ donor? Is it true that if I’m an organ donor doctors won’t make as much of an effort to save my life? What is organ donation anyway?”  These are just some of the many questions that senior Hayley Tartell sought to answer when she started the Students for Organ Donation Awareness, or SODA.

[ot-caption title=”Cynthia Smith informs students about about organ donation. Via: Andrea Chalem, Sophomore” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Andrea-Pic-e1412875573964.jpg”]

As part of the club’s effort to increase awareness about organ donation, an expert was invited from the University of Miami’s Life Alliance Organ Recovery Agency.  On Tuesday January 21st, Cynthia Smith, a Donate Life Representative and Communications Manager, came to speak to a group of PC students.  The purpose of her presentation was to educate the Pine Crest community on the truth behind organ donation and to clear up all the myths and fallacies that have been spread.

Ms. Smith provided an insight into the cause of organ donation in a way that most students had never even considered. She emphasized the astounding number of people everyday who wait for a life-saving organ or donation.  Also, common myths about organ donation were debunked, such as “my religion doesn’t approve of it” and “doctors won’t try to save me.”

In response to  learning the truth behind these myths, PC student Tatiana Kovalsky said, “I had never even thought about organ donation from a religion’s perspective. It was really interesting to see how different religions have their own views, but that most do in fact support it.”

The lecture provided students with information that will ultimately help them to make an informed decision on whether or not to become an organ donor.  Most people make this important decision without understanding or knowing the true facts and impacts of organ donation.

When asked what she learned from the lecture, Junior Elizabeth Poppiti replied, “I had no idea that organ donation could impact so many people’s lives. This presentation has made me realize that there is so much more that we can do to increase awareness.”

The SODA club and the PC community would like to thank Cynthia Smith for her informative and insightful presentation behind the international health crisis of organ donation.