Jeffery Bruce From Original Bye, Bye Birdie Visits PC

jordanna picture
Jeffrey Bruce, original cast member of Bye, Bye Birdie, speaks to PC students about his experiences as a Broadway actor. Photo Source: Jennifer Wilson

Last week, Jeffrey Bruce, an actor from the original Bye, Bye Birdie on Broadway, visited our school to speak to drama students and faculty. Bruce played the part of Harvey Johnson in the first ever Broadway production of the famous musical in 1960. PC students had the opportunity to ask Mr. Bruce about his career and to receive advice about on their own acting and singing skills.

Studying music and performance since he was ten years old, Bruce had always dreamed of one day performing on the Broadway stages of New York City.  He attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy and was privileged to work with some of the most famous teachers New York could offer.  However, his dream was backtracked when he first auditioned for Bye, Bye Birdie; he did not receive the part. Only a year later, the show’s director called him back to audition again, and Bruce’s hard work had finally paid off when he earned the role!

When asked to distinguish his favorite act of the musical, Bruce responded, “Telephone Hour, definitely. Nothing had been done on Broadway like that before.” Bruce’s career highlights include not just being a member in the production of Bye Bye Biride, but also performing in The Sound of Music on Broadway for over a year.

Looking back, Jeffrey Bruce could not be more proud about his performing accomplishments throughout his life. Bruce stated his favorite part about his character Harvey Johnson was, “the fact that he got the first laugh. He’s really goofy.” Today, he continues to follow his dream and is still performing in local musicals throughout South Florida. We were very lucky to have had Jeffrey Bruce visit the Pine and give our school’s performers an inside look into the life of a Broadway performer.