The Signing Ceremony: National Letter of Intent

Wednesday, November 20th was a special day for college bound, recruited athletes all around the globe. It was the beginning of the early signing period for the sports of basketball, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, swimming, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling. Eight incredibly talented PC seniors signed National Letters of Intent to attend some of the most prestigious universities in the nation. Three baseball players, two swimmers, one coxswain, one rower, and one sailor are now happily on their way to college.

The three recruited baseball players are Chris Coppenhaver, Matt Rothenberg, and Brady Acton. Chris will be attending Duke University, Matt is going to Harvard University, and Brady will be playing at Villanova University. The PC swimmers, coming off a great year at the State Championship, are Kent Haeffner, going to Harvard University, and Hannah Veale, going to Queens University. Also, Maddie Goldberg, will be a coxswain at Cornell University next year, and Ryan Pristo will be a rower at Princeton University. Lastly, Haley Fox, nationally ranked, will be attending Stanford University as a member of their sailing team next fall. All of the recruits are very thankful to have such opportunities to excel in their sports at such distinguished universities.

The eight recruited seniors pose for a picture at the end of the ceremony. Photo: Catherine Gulley
The eight recruited seniors pose for a picture at the end of the ceremony. Photo: Alana Steinberg

On discussing her accomplishment, Haley Fox exclaimed, “I committed to Stanford because it’s a great school where I can excel in the subjects I want to study. When I visited, I really enjoyed being with the members of the sailing team and felt like I would belong. I don’t have any plans past college sailing, but my goal for the next four years is to become a collegiate All-American.”

Matt Rothenberg is also very thankful for the opportunity to play baseball at such a competitive level after high school. He says, “I’m really excited to play baseball for four years in college and just to see what happens after that. I’d love to continue to be involved some way with baseball after I’m done playing.”

Kent Haeffner reflected upon his college of choice, the prestigious Harvard University,  “I chose Harvard because it gives me the best education in the world, while still allowing me to pursue my dreams in the pool. The energy on campus is simply contagious and the people are filled with enthusiasm for everything they do.”

Best of luck to all the recruits next year!