College Football Mid-Season Summary

QB A.J. McCarron tosses three touchdowns in a win against rival LSU, keeping Alabama at the top of the BCS rankings. Photo Source: Shreve Port Times/USA Today Sports

In the latest release of the BCS standings, Alabama ranks first (not much of a surprise), with Florida State, Ohio State, Stanford, and Baylor following in the top five.  Each team, excluding Stanford, has its starting quarterback in the top ten in passer efficiency.  Quarterback Jameis Winston of Florida State, a Heisman Trophy candidate, has 26 touchdowns along with over 2,500 yards despite his seven interceptions. Other star quarterbacks, including A.J. McCarron of Alabama, Bryce Petty of Baylor, and Braxton Miller of Ohio State, each have three interceptions or less on the year to go with their outstanding touchdown totals.  In contrast to these four offensive powerhouses, Stanford is more known for its stout offensive line and well-balanced defense.  Number one Alabama continues to show why they’re the best team in college football, with running back T.J. Yeldon running for 133 yards and two scores and McCarron throwing for three en route to a 38-17 victory this past Saturday under the lights against rival LSU.

Other notable teams in the top 25 include Texas A&M, who are sitting at 11 due to the play of star quarterback Johnny Manziel.  Manziel ranks third in passer efficiency and is arguably the best player in college football, with 31 touchdowns and over 3,300 passing yards on the season.

Former Pine Crest football star Traveon Henry, who plays safety at Northwestern University, talked about the difficult transition from high school football to college football: “Physically – I’m not the biggest person on the field anymore. My first summer here, one of my first good friends became the weight room. Mentally – I had to watch a lot more film. This year I spend about 4-5 hours a week watching opponent film.”  Another Pine Crest football star, Kalvin Cline, who plays tight end at Virginia Tech, also commented on the transition from high school to college football: “At this level, you’re competing against future professionals every day in practice and even more in games.  Even though I’m competing at such a high level I always remember that hard work will beat talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

The hometown Miami Hurricanes rank at 23, a decent spot considering their young team, ranked the nineteenth youngest according to Bleacher Report.  Some Miami fans, though, feel as though their team could be doing a lot better.  Pine Crest student Ben Schecter especially feels this way, as he said, “I am very disappointed in the team as I came into the season expecting them to win the Coastal Division.  I, along with the rest of the fan base, have become restless, especially after what many believe to be the worst loss (this past Saturday vs. Virginia Tech) in Al Golden’s stay at Miami.”  The future does look bright for the Hurricanes, as sophomore running back Duke Johnson is well on his way to 1,000-plus yards rushing to go with his current 6 rushing touchdowns on the year, proving himself as an asset for the team long-term.

Overall, it should be interesting to see who ends up in Pasadena in early January for the BCS National Championship Game, as it should be a tight race for the top two BCS slots.

Sources: bleacherreport.com, espn.com