Eli vs. Big Ben

Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning have had relatively parallel careers after both being drafted in 2004. They have each won two Super Bowls and have put up record breaking statistics for their respective teams. As the season reaches its one quarter mark, they are yet again in parallel situations as both the Giants and the Steelers are winless. I should also mention that both quarterbacks are  stinking it up on my fantasy team and consistently frustrate me every week. This week I have decided to debate who has had a better career thus far, and, in turn, who is more likely to make the Hall of Fame (and yes, they are both in the conversation).

Case for Big Ben:

Big Ben has been to three Super Bowls and won two of them. Many people may say the Super Bowls were a product of the stellar Pittsburgh defense, but the Giants team surrounding Eli has been just as strong over the years, so I am taking that out of the equation. In Steelers’ history, he has the highest completion percentage, highest passer rating, most 4th quarter comeback wins (Eli isn’t the only one who can produce in the fourth quarter), and most completions. He also holds virtually every single season passing record. Although this helps Big Ben’s cause, his game goes way beyond statistics. Roethlisberger has been behind a suspect offensive line for years and knows how to extend plays like no one else in the history of the league. He constantly makes plays even when there is nothing there. People often get caught up in his slightly worse statistics compared to some other quarterbacks of his generation, but they must remember the aspects of his game that cannot be shown in numbers.

Case for Eli:

Eli has won two Super Bowls MVPs and holds most of the Giants’ passing records. He is their all-time season leader in passing yards, completions, comeback wins, and…interceptions. As most Giants fans know, Eli has been prone to throwing a ton of picks. He even led the league in giveaways in 2010. Although his turnovers may be a major flaw, they can often be overlooked because he does so many other things so well. He is “Mr. Fourth Quarter” and has the most fourth quarter comebacks since he entered the league. He has also thrown for 4,933 yards, which is something Big Ben will never come close to doing. When Eli is playing at his best, he can be considered a top five quarterback in the league. There is only one problem… he usually isn’t playing at his best.

Verdict:

The best quarterback of the 2004 draft class is… Phillip Rivers. Just kidding. The guy has been airing it out into triple coverage every play for the past nine years. But actually, I choose Big Ben. He may not always get the love from the fans, but he has done so many things so well and knows how to lead his team.