PC Football is Back!

As the summer has come to an end, many of us look forward to the smell of grass and the sound of the band… because football is back!  After a productive offseason, the Panthers played against North Broward in what was previously known as the “Prep Bowl”.  Because Pine Crest and North Broward have moved into different divisions, each year the teams will play  in the Fall Classic, a preseason exhibition.  This year, the Panthers hosted the Eagles at home on Banks Field.  The Panthers won the game 23 -19, due in large part to Junior, quarterback Zach Smith’s rushing touchdown with 33 seconds remaining in the game.

Sophomore Matt Urban led the team with 22 rushes for 107 yards.  Zach Smith threw for 53 yards, and Sophomore Carmine Scarfone added 48 yards and a touchdown threw the air.  Oliver King led the Panthers in receiving with 3 receptions for 54 yards.  In addition, Alex Welch, Clay Rousso, Sean DiCarolis and Josh Mondshine made major contributions for the Panthers defensively.  It was a great team effort for the Panthers and an excellent way to kick off the year.

When asked how he felt about the team this year, Coach Jim Pletcher responded, “We have an inexperienced group that hopefully will grow leaps and bounds.”  This is no surprise, as a great deal of the standout players from last season were Seniors who left for college.  It is always hard for a coach to see so many great players leave.

Last Season’s Panthers Storming onto Banks Field

However, the young players on the team are eager for the season to start, wanting to prove that they can fill the shoes of the former Seniors.  Quarterback Carmine Scarfone said, “I’m very excited for the upcoming season.  We have a good group of guys who are determined to win.”  Kicker Oren Milstein also added, “I think we have a good chance to succeed. I’m looking forward to the season.”

After losing in the championship game last season, the Panthers are ready to get back on the field.  The team is undergoing many changes this year at various positions, and they will need a quick transition in order to put a successful football team on the field.  Captains Jonah Sternthal and Leo Zingg should be able to provide key leadership to help the Panthers get off to a great start.  Diligent offseason workouts and practices that took place prior to the start of the season should help the Panthers’ chances on the field as well.

The team has many crucial home games coming up, so get out and support the Panthers!