How Pine Crest Embraces the Holiday Season

Anna Selden

The Upper School Band, Chorus, and Orchestra played festive songs at a recent concert.

Although exams are right around the corner, Pine Crest still has a festive spirit during this holiday season. Many joyous activities and events will be taking place over the next couple of weeks, including the school-wide cookie exchange. On Thursday, December 12th, students who sign up for the exchange will bring in homemade cookies.  In the Student Union, those who participated can go around and try an assortment of cookies from their peers. Also on December 12th, the president of Pine Crest School, Dr. Markham, will host her annual Good Luck Breakfast in the Upper School Atrium before the school day starts. This is meant to serve as good luck and encouragement to the students before exams. Students can dress in festive clothing, drink hot chocolate, and listen to music played by the Upper School Jazz Band. Throughout the school, there are also many Secret Santas organized by classes or by friends. 

“I enjoy the suspense of not knowing who is going to get me a present or what I am going to get,” explains Rafael Opperman ’23, expressing his excitement about the gift exchange in Mrs. Mendonça’s advisory

These exciting activities bring students and teachers together and create a positive atmosphere as students prepare for exams. This holiday time is celebrated differently around the world, and heritage clubs have made it a priority to ring in the new year with festive celebrations. For example, the German Club hosted a winter celebration at the Sacrifice Circle on December 6th after school. It isn’t just cookies and decorations that celebrate the holidays, but the holiday-inspired music and art allow each culture to showcase their own traditions and customs. 

One tribute to the holiday season was the Upper School Orchestra’s performance of “Christmas Time Is Here” from A Charlie Brown Christmas at Thursday’s fine arts assembly.

The leader of the Orchestra, Mr. Khouri, explains, “No matter what you celebrate, holiday music makes people feel warm inside. I mean, who doesn’t like Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang?” 

The two weeks before winter break allow students to bring their holiday cheer to school and share the love associated with the holidays with their friends and teachers.