FebFest: A Week in Review

Carnival-themed Sadie Hawkins dance posters were plastered around school to advertise the first event of FebFest, which also included dress down days and the multicultural assembly.

FebFest brought together the student body by shining a light on students’ different backgrounds. The Sadie dance began the festivities, followed by three dress down days and the multicultural assembly.

Sadie Hawkins was a unique dance because it took place outdoors and reversed traditional gender roles with creative proposals. Many girls were seen in the hallways before Sadie with funny costumes and posters ready to ask guys to the dance.

At Sadie, students dressed as their favorite dynamic duos and spent time playing carnival games and listening to Neon Bull, a band comprised of PC students. Students not only dressed up as their favorite movie characters but also competed against their peers to win the best costume competition.

“I came up with my costume by thinking of the last great movie I saw which was Bohemian Rhapsody, so I decided to come as Freddie Mercury,” said freshman Holden Goldberg, the winner of the costume contest. “I got to see my friends in creative costumes rather than their regular uniforms.”

During the week of FebFest, students were excited to replace their uniforms with fun costumes. The students had three opportunities to dress down. Wednesday was beverage day, where students dressed up based on the names of drinks, such as the island-themed Hawaiian Punch and the first responder-themed lemon-AID. Thursday was the day of the Multicultural Assembly, so students expressed their diverse cultural backgrounds with t-shirts and flags. Friday was the customary generations day in which students dressed up as everything from babies to senior citizens depending on their grade level.

Students in multicultural clubs prepared weeks in advance to show their pride for their cultures through songs, dances, and poetry.

“BSA practiced from four to six every day to prepare,” freshman Denae Boothe said. “Although it was a lengthy process, it was really fun to spend time with the BSA and try to copy other group dances while we practiced.”

FebFest helped students celebrate diversity and enjoy their peers’ presence. Moments as simple as dance practice brought students together to celebrate their common heritage and showcase it. By the end of the assembly, students stood up to clap for their peers, uniting the student body to embrace all cultures.