A Recap of Homecoming Week 2018

Anna Selden

Students playing food games during homecoming week.

PC Homecoming Week 2018 was definitely one to remember with the festive themes and students showcasing their class and school spirit all week long. From participating in activities like the food games and the relays to decorating the hallways and getting decked out in costumes, homecoming was truly an unforgettable experience for all students.

Anna Selden
Students play to win during the food games (via Anna Selden, junior)

On Tuesday, the dress-up theme was TV channels; the freshmen dressed in sports jerseys for ESPN and the sophomores dressed as Cartoon Network characters. The juniors revisited many childhood memories with their Nickelodeon-themed outfits, and some even listened to music from the popular show, Victorious, to truly embrace the theme. The seniors dressed as iconic Disney characters, such as the Cheetah Girls, Nemo, and Dory. There was music playing throughout the day to amplify the homecoming spirit. To kick off the start of an incredible week, students gathered in the auditorium to watch the homecoming court assembly, which ended with an intense lip sync battle, which the sophomores won. Additionally, several teachers performed a dance to Drake’s popular song “In My Feelings,” and the cast of the this year’s musical, High School Musical, gave students a preview of the show. Following this assembly were the various food games that took place at the sacrifice circle. Some of these food games included a pie eating contest and an egg toss. Students cheered on their classmates and friends, as they devoured pie and attempted to catch the raw eggs.

Liza Goldstone
The seniors decorated their hallway with a Pacman theme (via Liza Goldstone, junior)

Wednesday was the second day of homecoming and students from each grade level dressed as different types of tourists. The freshman put on their cold-weather attire and dressed as ski tourists. Some even wore actual ski boots, which was definitely a drastic change in attire from the everyday outfits of Florida. Sophomores wore minion shirts and Minnie Mouse ears to represent theme park tourists, while the juniors looked like they came straight out of the jungle with their safari tourist outfits. The seniors got decked out in beach clothing and basically had a beach party with music and pool floats. At the end of the day, everyone gathered on the bleachers to watch the relay race, which was won by the seniors. The seniors also dominated other activities on Wednesday, like the hallway decoration and the cereal construction.

Lily Hashemi
Junior and senior girls leave it all on the field in the powderpuff game (via Lily Hashemi, junior)

On the third day of homecoming week, students showed their class spirit by wearing their class colors. Freshman wore red, sophomores wore blue, juniors wore orange, and seniors wore yellow and black. After classes, the junior and senior girls warmed up for the powderpuff game, which the juniors won. After the game, the powderpuff dances were performed. The guys put a great deal of effort into their dances and received applause as well as laughs from the audience. The juniors continued their momentum from the powderpuff game by also winning the powderpuff dance. The drive wars competition also ended on Thursday. The junior bin had the largest amount of electronics in it, which deducted points, and the seniors had the largest amount of school supplies in their bin, so they gained four hundred spirit points.

Anna Selden
The cheerleading team performs their routine during the pep rally (via Anna Selden, junior)

On Friday, students from all grade levels united as one to show school spirit for the homecoming football game. The dress-up theme was green and white, so many people wore glitter, face paint, bandanas, and green beads. During the pep rally, many students participated in gym games such as hungry hippo, musical chairs, and extreme rock paper scissors. They also got to enjoy performances by the varsity cheerleading team and hip-hop club. Additionally, the band played popular music throughout the pep rally. Each grade level had elaborate decorations, and it was clear that everyone put time and effort into decorating their section of the gym.

Freshman Sophia Varughese described her first experience of homecoming week: “I had a really great time during homecoming this year because the various themes gave the student body a chance to be really creative, and the many activities allowed the high school students to bond and come together as a community.”

After school ended, student council’s tailgate took place near the field, and there was pizza to eat before the game started. Unfortunately, the game did not end in favor of the Pine Crest Panthers, with the Gulliver Prep Raiders winning the game with a final score of 43-14. During halftime, Hank Ingham and Ashleigh Clark won homecoming king and queen and the cheerleaders performed their routine. The grade with the most spirit points at the end of the week, the seniors, won the spirit stick and rushed the field to claim it. It was a close competition, but students can agree that this year’s homecoming week was one that they will never forget.