Catching Up With PC Clubs

Audrey Hollo

There are many different clubs to join on campus based on a variety of different interests. Pictured here is a Type One meeting.

There is a myriad of options when it comes to clubs at Pine Crest. There is something for everyone, no matter the interest. Club leaders work strenuously to make the clubs the best they can possibly be and attract both new and returning members. Type One caught up with a few club leaders around the school to learn a little bit more about what PC has to offer.

One of the newer clubs on campus, Club Couture, produces a blog focused on fashion, beauty, and lifestyle tips and trends.  Type One spoke with President Valentina Pope to learn more about this up-and-coming club.

She shared, “Club Couture is Pine Crest’s fashion club. One of the main aspects of the club is the online blog. The blog consists of six sections: fashion, DIY, news, trends, men’s fashion, and vlogs/tutorials. Club members participate in writing articles, taking pictures, and thinking of new ideas to feature on the blog.” 

Valentina elaborated that “Club Couture allows students interested in fashion and publication to express their creativity in a fun and innovative way.” Members are able to meet and speak about their interests, in addition to working on their own individual projects outside the club. If you have a passion for fashion and are looking for a way to express your interest, then Club Couture is the club for you!

Next up, Type One caught up with Elizabeth Brown, who is co-president of the Creative Writing Club. In this club, students are able to express themselves through different types of writing such as poetry or prose. They can then get feedback from other students in the club through comments and critiques on their interactive eLearning group page.

Elizabeth said that this genuine interaction between members is what she loves most, saying,  “…it’s amazing to see how everyone’s writing progresses and evolves throughout the year.”

She also spoke about two events that the club sponsored and held this year, Poetry Out Loud (co-hosted with NEHS) and the Poetry Slam. Both events were forums for students to share their own writing or read the work of their favorite writer.

During club meetings, she said, students also are able to “…simply [read] pieces to each other because this is such an important part of the writing and revision process.”

Members are given opportunities to better their writing through peer feedback, which can also translate well to written classwork. So, if you are looking for a fun way to improve your writing skills and express yourself creatively the Creative Writing Club checks all the boxes!

Finally, Type One checked in with the TSA (Technology Student Association) Club which was very successful at the recent state competition in Orlando. The competitors brought back lots of awards, memories, and got a chance to share all their hard work.

Student TSA President Harrison Freedman and teacher sponsor Mrs. Kolettis shared how the club is “…supported by educators and business leaders who believe in the need for a technologically literate society.”

Becoming proficient in technological skills and innovation is becoming even more important as our world becomes increasingly mechanized and technologically focused. The events that TSA students participate in engage their minds through STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) activities. Members can be found working on anything from robotics to fashion designs. There is truly something for everyone in this club.

There are so many ways to get involved in clubs at Pine Crest and meet new friends that have similar interests.  Pine Crest students are so lucky to have so many extracurricular activities at their fingertips, so take advantage of them and get excited about trying something new!