NEHS Takes Miami

Courtesy of Clara Nguyen

One of the many artworks students had the chance to witness during their trip.

Upper School students and english teacher Mr. Gillego ventured to Miami for the annual National English Honor Society (NEHS) field trip.  In keeping with NEHS’s goal of fostering a love for the English language, students attended, on Friday, November 17th, the Miami Book Fair, a literary festival held each fall at Miami-Dade College.  

Mr. Gillego, the NEHS teacher adviser, spoke about the trip and why the students went; he said, “This was our third annual trip to the Miami International Book Fair and Pérez Art Museum Miami.  It’s always a beautiful and fun outing for the students.  The trip exposes students to two important cultural institutions that we have right here in our backyard.”

Hundreds of exhibitors set up shop at the bustling outdoor street fair, which also featured book signings and live music.  Students’ purchases reflected the diverse publications for sale: junior Hank Ingham bought a miniature Bible, while sophomore Ethan Leifert bought two books about theoretical physics.  In addition to unique and interesting books, the fair also boasted a large variety of dining options, including restaurants, food stalls, and ice cream trucks.

After exploring the Book Fair for two hours, students took the Metromover to the Pérez Art Museum Miami, a contemporary art museum located on Biscayne Bay.  Upon arriving at the museum, students marveled at its imposing hanging gardens and minimalist architecture.  The museum houses a wide array of art using different and sometimes unusual media; along with traditional paintings and pencil drawings were LED-illuminated sculptures, surrealist films, and a work assembled from copper wire.  The exhibitions were both aesthetically pleasing and thought-provoking; many were mesmerized by a multimedia installation involving colored lights activated by different noise frequencies.  

Junior Hank Ingham said, “The Pérez Art Museum may seem far away, but its artworks are close to home, providing windows into the deepest chambers of our souls.”  

Before returning to school, students spent their last minutes at the museum relaxing in outdoor hanging swing chairs, enjoying the spectacular view of the waterfront and Miami skyline.