Top 10 Weekend Adventures in South Florida

[ot-caption title=”Turn your days off on the weekend from drab to glam. (via Hubo/Wikimedia Commons)”][spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Whether you want to get your feet wet in the Atlantic or enjoy a day of culture at one of many art museums, there are no limits to what adventures your weekend can bring here in South Florida. Even though some areas of the country are stuck in winter and bundled indoors, Floridians are free to go out and explore in the full-year warmth. With all the adventures that await, your weekends will be anything but dull this winter.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]10. Known as the “Big Three,” football, baseball, and basketball are American favorites for a reason. Even if baseball isn’t your favorite pastime, going to the recently remodeled Marlins Stadium to enjoy a Saturday of crackerjacks and hot dogs is always a good time. If you prefer football or basketball, the Heat (NBA) and the Dolphins (NFL), with stadiums located in Miami, are great weekend activities as well.

The Marlins Stadium is a great place to visit to enjoy a day of food and fun (via Roberto Coquis, Flickr).

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]9. Florida is famed for its sunny beaches and multifarious marine life. A common favorite is turtle nesting, where viewers can sign up for a 30-60 minute tour that shows visitors sea turtle nests and eggs the size of tennis balls. The nesting season lasts approximately from March to October, at a variety of beaches across the state.

Stop by your local beach for an evening of waves and baby sea turtles (via Dawn Childs for USGS, Flickr).

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]8. Another advantage of Florida’s year-round summer climate is water-sports. For the adventure seekers, take a banana boat, jet ski, or tube out into the ocean for the day. Enjoying kayaking or stand-up paddle boarding lessons is another, more scenic approach.

The perfect water-sport for a day at the beach. (via cvigneau, pixabay)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]7. Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens is a great destination if you want to escape the typical Florida wildlife and fauna without the hassle of traveling. Located on the border of Boca Raton and Delray, the park boasts rich Japanese culture and sceneries that are awesome for your next photoshoot. There’s also a delicious cafe with a Pan-Asian inspired menu. Check out the spot for upcoming events, classes, and volunteer opportunities too.

Bonsai trees and koi ponds are some of the Japanese-infused culture featured at this Florida hot spot. (via Robert Pittman, Flickr)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]6. The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami is comprised of an extensive property of gardens, perfect for enjoying a beautiful Florida day. They offer weekend tours, or visitors can explore the gardens on their own. Additionally, the gardens hold the Annual Orchid Festival, which is a fun event to visit if you’re interested in all things orchids.

An old, draping Banyan tree is just one of the many exquisite plants up for viewing at the Fairchild Gardens. (via Marc Averette, Wikimedia Commons)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]5. Walking streets such as Atlantic Avenue and Las Olas often host a variety of fairs and festivals. These include eclectic art festivals to browse through, jazz and blues music events to enjoy, and holiday-themed events like an upcoming Saint Patrick’s Day parade.

Onlookers gather for the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, one of the many events at South Florida’s many shopping streets. (via PtKirk1295, Wikimedia Commons)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]4. Museums are another great way to experience art and culture. The Pérez Art Museum Miami boasts incredible architecture, interactive modern art exhibits, and a breathtaking view of the water. Other art museums include the Boca Raton Museum of Art, exhibiting a glass collection, as well as the NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale. For a different style of art, the Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum displays vintage automobiles from the 1900s to the 1940s.

The modern exterior of the Pérez Art Museum of Miami beckons the seekers of art and architecture. (via John Zacherle, Flickr)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]3. Miami is home to Wynwood, a neighborhood known for its graffiti art. Wynwood Walls is an open-air exhibit with graffiti art walls to enjoy and photograph. Although some walls are permanent, most of the walls in the exhibit are repainted from year to year. Outside of the exhibit, buildings in this colorful neighborhood are painted with graffiti art as well.

The perfect place for your next artsy Instagram photo. (via Dan Lundberg, Flickr)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]2. Although Florida isn’t the best place for hiking, it balances this with its scenic bike trails. Shark Valley loop is a 15-mile trail that runs through Everglades National Park, while the Old Cutler Trail in Miami tours beautiful neighborhoods and exquisite parks and gardens. Riding a bike along A1A in Boca Raton offers beautiful ocean views, and the Palm Beach Lake Trail overlooks the Intracoastal and the backyards of many luxurious homes.

Get some fresh air and some exercise at the many bike trails near the water. (via Christopher Ziemnowicz, Wikimedia Commons)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]1. Although it may seem cliché, the best weekend activity in South Florida is undeniably a trip to the beach. Floridians are lucky enough to have a vacation spot right in their backyards. From Palm Beach down to the Keys, get out your beach chairs and relax like a tourist.

One might overlook it, but a yoga beach session or evening picnic is a classic Florida activity. (via Julian Colton, Wikimedia Commons)

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]South Florida has so much to offer; from the Fairchild Gardens and scenic bike trails to the Wynwood Walls, there are many great memories just waiting to be made. So text your friends, grab your camera, and begin your journey.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Sources: Visit Florida, Official Miami Marlins, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Downtown Delray Beach, Pérez Art Museum Miami, Boca Raton Museum of Art, Florida Rambler, Wynwood Walls, Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Photo Source: Hubo via Wikimedia Commons