Super Bowl LI Preview: Will the Patriots Win Another Title, or Will the Underdog Falcons Take it Home?

Getty Images
GLENDALE, AZ – FEBRUARY 01: Tom Brady #12, team owner Robert Kraft, and head coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots celebrate with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after defeating the Seattle Seahawks 28-24 to win Super Bowl XLIX at University of Phoenix Stadium on February 1, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)

[ot-caption title=”Bill Belichick seeks football immortality on February 5th in his quest for a seventh Super Bowl Ring. (Via Tom Pennington/Getty Images)”] [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The most anticipated NFL game of the year is just a week away, taking place at 6:30 p.m. on February 5th. The Super Bowl LI matchup between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons will be the first time these two teams play each other in a Super Bowl. The Falcons are looking for their first ever Super Bowl win, while the Patriots are looking to win their fifth Lombardi Trophy in 15 seasons.[spacer height=”20px”]

The New England Patriots finished first in the AFC east for the 8th consecutive season, with only two losses in 16 games. Though the Patriots arguably have the most depth in the NFL, they have been battling with suspensions and injuries the whole season. Tom Brady, their star quarterback for the last 15 seasons, missed the first four games of the season due to his league suspension over the 2014 Deflategate scandal. The team went 3-1, with the help of 2nd string QB Jimmy Garoppolo and rookie QB Jacoby Brissett—both of which were placed on the Patriots injured reserve list by Week 5. Another major hit to the Patriots’ roster this season was the loss of Patriots Tight End, Rob Gronkowski. “Gronk” missed the first 3 games of the season due to a hamstring injury. He returned for just 8 games but was placed on injured reserve following a big hit in Week 12, requiring season ending surgery. Despite all of this, the Patriots clinched a playoff spot during week 15 and home-field advantage throughout the post-season in week 17 with the help of their impressive defense.[spacer height=”20px”]

Representing the NFC, the Atlanta Falcons had a historic season this year. The team played their 25th and final season at the Georgia Dome and will move into Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the 2017 season. After missing the playoffs for four straight seasons, the Falcons, under head coach Dan Quinn, finally turned things around this year. With a record of 11-5, the Falcons ended the regular season first in the NFC South and clinched a first-round bye. Matt Ryan, the Falcons starting quarterback since 2008, had his best season yet and is among the leading contenders to be named MVP of the season. The veteran quarterback threw for 4,944 yards (breaking the Falcons’ record), 38 touchdowns, and only 7 interceptions. Falcons Wide Receiver Julio Jones also posted impressive stats this season. In the Atlanta Falcons’ victory over the New Orleans Saints, Jones had 300 receiving yards, becoming only the 6th player all-time to do so. [spacer height=”20px”]

Football fans are looking forward to seeing the Falcons’ juggernaut offense face-off against the stellar Patriots’ defense. The question is, will the Patriots’ experience provide them an edge over the Falcons?[spacer height=”20px”]

Tom Brady alone has played in more Super Bowls (6) than the entire Falcons’ roster (5). Pine Crest Junior and Patriots super-fan, Jared deFaria, said this about the match-up, “To see what the Patriots have done over the past fifteen years is special. This Super Bowl could cap an amazing run for the best quarterback and coach in NFL history.” deFaria, along with many others, expect the Patriots to demolish the Falcons.[spacer height=”20px”]

My prediction is that the Patriots will win, 24-21. Even though I’m rooting for the Falcons, the Patriots have so much depth in their roster. We’ll have to wait and see how the game plays out. [spacer height=”20px”]

Sources, CBS Sports, AL.com, Atlanta Falcons, NFL.com, NESN, USA Today, Business Insider [spacer height=”20px”]

Photo Source: Tom Pennington, Palm Beach Post