New Year’s Resolutions: Silly Tradition or Effective Tool?

[ot-caption title=”Year after year, it can be hard to continue drafting the often disappointing list of resolutions, but is it actually useful to continue trying to make these transformations work? (via Ava Goldstone, junior)”]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]“This year will be different. I will finally put in the effort to reach my goals”

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Now that 2016 has come to a close, people within the Pine Crest community and beyond vow to fill a personal agenda that may have been on their minds for months. These New Year’s resolutions can range from simply striving to complete the bare minimum, such as completing homework assignments, to taking more drastic measures, such as becoming vegan. Many people have arrived at the consensus that the New Year is a good reason to finally fulfill a desire, causing over 40% of Americans to draft resolutions.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]As for Pine Crest, almost every student interviewed has a New Year’s resolution, only some of which have been fulfilled.  Sophomore Joseph Gingold has the numerical goal of reading 35 novels in 2017, which he added, “would be an improvement from last year.”  Lola Nedic, a junior, also set a concrete goal to gain a six-pack by the end of 2017.  Although many students set these specific goals, other students had more general resolutions, such as freshman Gabby Khoriaty’s goal to practice flute more often or sophomore Nina Couture’s resolution to get “as much sleep as possible.”  Overall, PC students are very excited about the new year and the resolutions that come along with it. Other students take a different approach to the new year, such as senior Melody Khoriaty, who has resolved to simply continue with business as usual, instead of setting a lofty goal.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″] In terms of the rest of the world, New Year’s resolutions have proven quite effective in absolving procrastinators of their guilt, although ineffective in improving the lives of the goal-setters.  As the Internet is inundated with the idealistic (and irritating) mantra “New Year, New Me,” resolutions may appear to have the possibility of lasting until February, if even for that long.  Research suggests that only 8% of people actually keep their New Year’s resolutions.  Unrealistic goals almost always taper off with an onslaught of halfhearted excuses.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Looking to make your resolution stick?  Experts recommend setting a tangible (read: measurable) goal and keeping track of any progress.  Also, to the potential exasperation of everyone following you on social media, goals are best kept when socially publicized.  Instead of trying to set unrealistic goals, draft a list of more abstract items in order to harness the start of a new year and actually make improvements.  Regardless of whether they are kept or how unrealistic they may seem, New Year’s resolutions remain steadfast in popularity and the New Year will continue to be a healthy time to reflect on how to make a positive change.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Source: Forbes