Autumn’s in the Air

[ot-caption title=”Even if you don’t have a lot of time to relax during the school week, inviting a little autumnal scent into your space is a great way to make studying a festive experience. (via Ava Goldstone, junior)”]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Although the Northern Hemisphere is more than a month into fall, it’s never too late to take a step back and admire the best aspects of the season: Halloween spirit, Thanksgiving dinners, brilliantly colored fall foliage, and chilly temperatures.  Granted, we live in South Florida, so we most likely won’t experience the latter two; however, there are still plenty of ways to make the most of what autumn has to offer.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Halloween is in just under a week, and there are just about as many ways to spend the day as there are spooky costume options.  Pumpkin patches have opened their doors, offering festive activities like corn mazes, hayrides, and campfires for visitors.  In the greater South Florida area, Batten’s Farmers Market, “A Not So Spooky Halloween,” or Broward County Parks, Hayrides, and Campfires are some of the most popular.  Even if you think you’ve long outgrown trick-or-treating, Halloween still provides a great opportunity to hang out with friends and have fun.  Attend a festive event, or organize one of your own. Indulge your creative side and try your hand at making a costume.  Or, if you find the prospect of a large social gathering more frightening than the holiday itself, it’s always a good idea to stay home and watch your favorite scary movie.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Although Florida’s most ubiquitous sign of autumn’s arrival may be the presence of Pumpkin Spice Lattes at your local Starbucks, fall’s culinary offerings are infinitely more diverse.  Try exchanging your daily coffee for a mug of steaming spiced cider, or bake a delicious apple or pumpkin pie.  As Thanksgiving approaches, supermarkets and specialty food stores will stock their shelves with autumn-exclusive delicacies.  Both Trader Joes and Fresh Market have displays of pumpkin flavored favorites.  Take advantage of this opportunity and fill your shopping cart with squash, cranberries, and chestnuts.  You may even be able to prepare a Thanksgiving feast of your own!

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Still seeking exciting activities to do this fall?  Fear not– the options are endless.  If you’ve been dying to witness a tangible change of seasons, plan a trip with family or friends to New England or the Rocky Mountains, which are renowned for their remarkable beauty in the autumn.  If you prefer staying at home, consider setting up a bird feeder in your backyard just in time for the annual southern migration.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Finally, it’s never too early to start saving up for the perfect Christmas gift; winter will be upon us before you know it.  In the meantime, try some of the suggestions above to enjoy fall to the fullest and wind down at the same time.

Sources: Pumpkin Patches and More