9th Grade Enjoys Their Community Service Day

[ot-caption title=”Mr. Fitzpatrick and Tsion Yared discuss community service options for students. (via Ava Goldstone, junior)”]

While the upperclassmen spent today, September 27th, taking the ACT, the ninth grade class got the unique opportunity to go outside the classroom and help out the community. Mr. Fitzpatrick, the head of community service, planned out the day for the freshmen, which include Feeding South Florida, Broward Partnership for the Homeless, Tomorrow’s Rainbow, In Jacob’s Shoes, Jack & Jill Center, and United Cerebral Palsy. Mr. Fitzpatrick was very excited for this day and shared his thoughts about the ninth graders plans for the morning.

“The ninth graders should expect to see people being extremely grateful for what they are doing. Since they are getting to work directly with them, they will see how they have helped them. The ninth graders should be ready for a great day of service to friends,” Mr. Fitzpatrick said.

Giving back to the community is an amazing opportunity for the freshman class. Making someone smile, can change everything. It is also a great way to build leadership as Mr. Fitzpatrick explained.

“The focus point for this entire high school year is leadership, and community service is a good way to build leadership. Leadership is an important skill that you will take with you wherever you go,” Mr. Fitzpatrick said.

The ninth graders served their community by working in daycares and sorting food at donation banks. After, they came back to school to do leadership activities. Whether they have had experience volunteering or not, they all got to spend time bonding and lending a helping hand.  Many students, like Sarah Batta, experienced true community service for the first time and were very excited.

“I have never done community service before, but I am looking forward to it. I have heard other people say how amazing it feels to give back to the community,” Sarah Batta said.

There were also many students who have had their fair share of giving back to the community. The ninth graders who attended Pine Crest Middle School at both the Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton campuses participated in Community Service Day in past years, and those previous experiences inspired many students to pursue projects outside of school as well.

“A really good part about that day was being with my advisory for my first time doing community service with Pine Crest. We went to a homeless shelter and bleached windows,” Amanda Schwartz said.

Others spent time over the summer or on the weekends participating in their own projects.

“During the summer, I worked as a CIT [Counselor-in-Training] at Christ Church. Working with little kids around the ages of 3-4 was an amazing experience,” Emily Faulhaber said.

Olivia Pettee voluneered “in the beginning of the school year and helped out in preview with the lower schoolers,” and now plans on continuing to assist saying, “[For the trip,] I plan on helping out with the Jack and Jill community because I really love kids,”

For those who are interested, there are clubs at Pine Crest that provide community service opportunities for students, like KIVA Club and Student Ambassadors.  Hopefully, for some freshman this day will motivate them to get involved in these programs and the many other programs Pine Crest offers that benefit the local community.

“I plan on shadowing my pediatrician during winter break. I really have a passion for medicine and am excited to learn about how doctors contribute to the community,” Sarah Batta said.

Community service day was an important day for the Class of 2020. They learned the importance of giving back to the community while bonding with new friends. If you are interested in participating in any volunteering opportunities within the Pine Crest community or outside in the South Florida area, please contact Mr. Fitzpatrick and check the Upper School Weekly News for available projects.