NYFW 2016: A Peek Into Spring Style

[ot-caption title=”Models walk the runway, transitioning the current season, Autumn/Winter, into the next, Spring/Summer. (via theresaunfried/Flickr)”]

On September 7th, almost 125,000 people flocked to New York. Among them were designers, models, and celebrities. In addition to the attendees, two million people watched online and through social media as fashion’s elite experienced one of the biggest events of the year, New York Fashion Week.

New York City has been a center of style for years, along with Paris, Milan, and London. Every year, all four cities host major runway shows. Having been the first created, New York always starts off the fashion season, setting the scene for next year’s spring and summer style.

This September, some repeated trends included thick horizontal stripes in primary colors, large robes, and frills in basic and neutral colors. Bright pink was a refreshing twist, perfectly combatting the more classic blue pinstripes. Toned down blues were continually used, accented by lush greens and sunset oranges. The color scheme greatly resembles natural hues. Many designers chose to accessorize their models with long, dangling earrings and striking makeup, instead of the usual large necklaces. This effectively accentuated the garments without covering them up. The actual pieces of clothing were especially innovative this year. Basic forms were manipulated into new shapes, never seen before. The silhouettes were elegant. Overall, the shows were very diverse, representing many styles and types of clothing.

The largest designers showed their work towards the middle of the week. Some designers, like Cynthia Rowley, Vera Wang, and Dior spent up to thousands of dollars to create flawless displays. Part of that money was spent on the layouts of the shows. The rest went to hiring famous models like Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, and Adriana Lima. They also paid well-known personalities to attend. Amandla Stenberg, Annasophia Robb, Jennifer Hudson, Blake Lively, Kylie Jenner, and Sophia Richie all made appearances.

NYFW 2016 was a complete success. This fun hint at the coming season’s style is unique and beautiful. It may only have lasted a week, but fashion month will continue as the other cities take over the approaching weeks, providing a fresh, new twist to Spring fashion.  

Sources: NYFW, Pantone, Fashionista, All Women Stalk, Who What Wear, Flickr