Gay Pride Paints Miami Rainbow

[ot-caption title= “One of the many Gay Pride celebrations from around the globe (via, US Embassy Tel Aviv, Youtube).”]

Rainbows were seen this past weekend in South Florida, even though the forecasts predicted rain. In celebrations of the contributions of the LGBTQ community, Miami was packed with a commemorative parade and festival. The 8th annual Miami Beach Gay Pride event was full of vibrant colors and people of various backgrounds. Colorful celebrations take place every year in mid-April. It is the largest single-day event of the year on Miami Beach, gaining larger crowds year after year.

Miami Beach Gay Pride creates awareness for the growing LGBTQ community and aims to break down the barriers with the Miami community. Senior Bianca Tedesco believes the event is a great idea for showcasing the talent of the LGBTQ community. She says, “I think it’s great that they have a parade and celebrate.”

To kick off the event, there were parade floats, carnival style dancers, a men’s High Heel race, glittered costumes, painted faces, music performers, and of course, rainbow flags. Iggy Azalea took part in the festivities this year. She was the guest of honor and rode on the leading parade float. Azalea is a supporter of the LGBTQ community and believes it is important to celebrate. Prior to the parade, Azalea and Elvis Duran, host of the event, took part in a fundraiser for the community.

What better way to kick off celebrations than with a parade? Parade-goers drive along the Art Deco district. For the first time, Miami Beach Gay Pride awarded the best parade participants with the title of most creative approach in the spirit of pride.  Besides being announced as the winner, the best parade plat will get a plaque at Miami Beach’s LGBTQ Visitors Center displayed for generations to come.  First place was taken by Danny Jelaca at this year’s event.  He demonstrated pride with no better way than to throw a party! The decorative float was composed to look like a beach party.

Although this event took place right in our own backyard, it could be seen by everyone all over the world due to the Snapchat live event.  Sophomore Blake Guillame, who viewed the event on Snapchat, says the parade “looked very colorful and very fun.”

Whether you take part in the LGBTQ community or not, this festival is a great way for people to come together, share their ideals, and celebrate success of the community around them. Happy Gay Pride everyone!

Sources: People, Facebook, E!Online, Miami Gay Cities, Miami Beach Gay Pride, Miami and Beaches