Fashion Fit For TV

[ot-caption title=”Mindy Lahiri sports a green and black lace dress on the red carpet- a dress that her character Mindy Kaling would wear in a heartbeat! (via, Ona Hnk, Youtube)”]

Fashion is an important part of many different aspects of life, especially TV as a means of expression of the character’s personalities. The most notable and best-dressed characters are Cookie Lyon from Empire, Mindy Lahiri from The Mindy Project, and Chanel Oberlin from Scream Queens. They wouldn’t be the same without their style.  Picture it for a second, Mindy without her bright prints, Cookie without her fur, and Chanel without, well, Chanel. Their style completes them and defines them as characters.

Chanel Oberlin of Scream Queens, portrayed by Emma Roberts, has a style best described like the brand of her namesake: classic and feminine. She is best known for being bossy and full of herself.  Due to that attitude, she is always dressed in high-end and refined clothing to demonstrate her superiority, or at least the superiority she feels, over the other characters. She wears mostly pastels, like light pinks and baby blues with a lot of texture or movement. For example, she’ll have a light pink dress that is elevated through the use of quilted pattern. That way, the pink isn’t just any basic sorority girl staple, but instead a high fashion accessory.

Mindy Lahiri of The Mindy Project, played by Mindy Kaling, has a signature look that is all about bold colors and prints. Mindy is sassy, savvy, and hopelessly romantic. Her style has a professional flair because she spends a good portion of her time working as an OB/GYN. The vivid colors and prints portrays how carefree Mindy is, but the work appropriate factor displays the fact that she really cares about her job. That work seems to pay off considering her many designer goods, especially the abundance of Hermès Birkin and Chanel Classic Jumbo bags.  She almost always wears a dress paired with some sort of cardigan; her most worn colors being yellow, green, blue, and red.

Cookie Lyon of Empire, played by Taraji P. Henson, brings a fierce aura to every scene. She fights for what she wants and her animal prints and fur reveal her “my way or the highway” attitude. Although she dresses quite lavishly, she has resilience about her, due to her many years in jail. However, she doesn’t let her dark past impact her. The moment she gets out of jail, she changes into a leopard print dress and a huge white fur coat; she means business and is ready to protect what is rightfully hers, whether that be the empire or her children. While doing so, she wears everything from purple fur to gold suits to body con dresses.  She has a commanding presence and so does her style.

So, next time you watch your favorite TV show, take a closer look at what the characters are wearing and how that reflects their persona. Each of these characters have styles and personalities that differ from each other, but they all dress in a way that suits them, inspiring us all to do the same.

Image Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE0jm6HKgrI