Oscars Best and Worst Dressed

[ot-caption title=”The coveted Oscar’s award statues. (via, Prayitno, Flickr)”]

The 88th Oscars Academy Awards Show took place last Sunday, February 28th. The Oscars honors the best movies, actors, and producers to be recognized in film that year. Although the main focus of the night is on the films, fans, and fashion gurus alike cannot wait to see what the stars themselves will don for the big night. All of Hollywood’s A-list stars showed up to show off their best updo’s, highest heels, and the most extravagant gowns. While some stars shined with their looks, others didn’t make the cut.

Best dressed:

Charlize Theron is someone who never seems to disappoint on the red carpet and this years Oscars was no exception.  She stunned in a custom plunging neckline Dior Haute Couture gown, as she is one of the many faces of the coveted brand.  The bright red color of the dress glowed on her pale skin.  Harry Winston jewels, simple makeup, and an up-do were the perfect finish to a killer look.

Nina Dobrev was another show stopper at the Oscars.  Dobrev, a not-so-known face on the Oscar’s carpet, sure did make herself known this year.  Dressed in a  blush, floral-embellished Elie Saab with a coral belt, Dobrev’s dainty but sophisticated look suited her perfectly. To finish off the look, she added a simple cylindrical clutch with minimal jewelry. Nina’s red carpet appearance was simple yet elegant.

Shoutout to all the little monsters out there because Lady Gaga is finally on the best dressed list! Gaga sported a unique, geometric white pantsuit.  It was designed by her former stylist Brandom Maxwell, showing the elegance and simplicity that truly is the new Gaga.  In addition to her killer look, she delivered an unforgettable performance of her Oscar nominated song “Until it Happens to You,” leaving the audience in tears and complete awe of her talent.  Truly, it was an unforgettable night for Gaga.

Worst Dressed:

While Heidi Klum may have immense experience strutting the catwalk, her Oscar attire fell short of perfection. She wore a periwinkle flowing Marchesa dress, adorned with giant embellished flowers. The flowers themselves were too overwhelming and the dress wore her more than she wore the dress. This one shouldered frock truly missed the mark.

Funny woman Amy Poehler is no stranger to the awards show scene, hosting several with her famous BFF Tina Fey.   At this year’s Academy Awards Show, Poehler sported a black dress with a colorful flower pattern.  The dress was not only unflattering, but mirrored a Japanese kimono of sorts.  While Poehler’s simplistic and classic style usually lands her on the best dressed list, this look was one we wish never happened.

While the Latina Modern Family star Sofia Vergara usually stuns in classic mermaid style gowns, her Oscars look this year fell short of her usual fashion status.   She wore a flowing, navy Marchesa gown.  While she tried to take a vintage spin on the look, the idea completely backfired.  Overall, we should send this look back the the 80’s where it came from.

While the Oscars is a night to honor achievements in film for that year, the style of the night is something that can’t be forgotten.  With countless stars showing up with incredible and show-stopping looks, others failed to hit the target, falling short of the fashion bar.

Sources: Vogue, Oscar, Flickr