Super Bowl Predictions from Type One Sports

[ot-caption title= “Peyton Manning will look to cash in one more epic performance before the sun sets on his career (via Doug Pensinger, Getty Images)”]

The time is finally here.  On February 7, the Carolina Panthers (15-1) and the Denver Broncos (12-4) will square off in San Francisco to decide this NFL season’s Super Bowl Champion.  There is definitely no shortage of story lines here, ranging from the flamboyant Cam Newton’s first championship appearance to legendary Peyton Manning’s last run.  Regardless, spectators around the country are anticipating a spectacular football game next Sunday.  We hope everybody enjoys the game, and here are some predictions from our Sports Staff.

Jack Rubin:

In the NFL’s golden season, everything has been hype for the big game. Super Bowl 50 will set records off the field, but on the field will be another story. The Panthers will win in a game that should not be close but will stay tight into the second half. Like how last year was the Seahawks defense vs. the Patriots offense, this year it is Carolina’s unstoppable offense against Denver’s punishing defense. Outside linebackaers Von Miller and Demarcus Ware had hIstoric days against a horrendous New England offensive line, but will not see the same success against Carolina. All year teams have been searching hopelessly for the formula to contain Cam Newton. Denver will not find the perfect balance of containing Newton’s running game while limiting his passing. Cam Newton will bring the Lombardi trophy to Carolina, something he may be doing for years to come after the first Sunday of February.

Alyssa Dern:

I believe the Denver Broncos will win the Super Bowl because Peyton Manning is the more experienced quarterback.  Cam Newton, as good as he has been both running and throwing the football, does not have the same background Manning does and will struggle mentally on football’s biggest stage.  The fact that Manning has won a Super Bowl and played in so many meaningful games will give him and Denver the edge in this game.

Brooke Siegal:

My prediction is that Carolina is going to beat the Broncos. After watching both conference final games, the Broncos’ defense is slightly better than Carolina’s defense, but the quarterback for Carolina, Cam Newton, is younger than Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, so his ability to run and throw will be the difference compared to Manning. Both are two of the top teams this year, but I believe that Carolina is going to win.

Sofia Caro:

The Superbowl is set to be a matchup between a prolific offensive team in the Panthers and an aggressive defense in the Broncos, who held Tom Brady to 1 TD and 2 INTs in the AFC Championship game. However, led by Cam Newton, who is having an MVP season, the Panthers get my pick to win the Super Bowl, as I see them starting fast and getting Denver in a position where they cannot come back. The dual-threat nature of Newton’s playing style gives the Panthers an extra edge on the Broncos, who will need a big game from their defense in order to keep the game close

Matt Fine:

I am very excited to watch the Carolina Panthers play the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50. I predict that the Panthers will dominate the Broncos. Cam Netwon, the Panthers’ star quarterback, has led the team to an impressive 15-1 record. The 39-year-old veteran, Peyton Manning of the Broncos, will have no shot to keep up with the high scoring offense the Panthers have dominated with this season. This game should be a blowout, and I predict the commercials will be the most entertaining part. Final Score: Panthers 38, Broncos 17.

Daniela Gomez:

The Carolina Panthers are going to win the Super Bowl because of Cam Newton’s various skills. He is a really smart quarterback and stands a really good chance against Peyton Manning and the Broncos. As a side note, Newton is also the clear favorite for MVP. Newton and the Panthers have had a great season and should cap it all off by winning the Super Bowl.

Owen Scrudders:

The Carolina Panthers will be the 2016 Super Bowl Champions.  While both teams have incredible defenses, it will be the quarterback position that is the difference in this one.  As much as we’ll all love him and admire what he has achieved in his long NFL career, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning just isn’t the same passer he once was.  Meanwhile, Panthers’ gunner Cam Newton has improved greatly this year and will most likely be the league’s MVP.  While it would be fun to watch Manning go out with a championship, this looks to be a game where the torch will be passed from Manning to Newton as the Panthers should turn in a dominant performance and win big.

Ariana Altieri:

The Panthers will win this year’s Super Bowl for one main reason.  They have a dynamic offense led by a quarterback playing as well as anyone we’ve seen in the last several years.  Cam Newton’s attack will move the ball efficiently down the field and put up plenty of points despite Denver’s very strong defensive unit.  Ron Rivera’s group wins this one easily.

Ryan Mahatme:

Given that both teams are the top seeds of their respective conferences with tremendously strong defenses, I predict a low-scoring affair.  While the Broncos defense is strong and stifled Tom Brady and New England Patriots, the Panthers can play any type of game they want to whether it’s a defensive affair or a shootout.  In the end, there will be no denying Cam Newton and his unheralded teammates who have time and again proved the naysayers wrong this season.  The Panthers will dominate the turnover battle, and Luke Kuechly will have a big day.  Expect some big runs from Jonathan Stewart and a Cam Newton rushing touchdown along with some flashy dance moves.  Panthers edge the Broncos 21-14 to claim Super Bowl 50.

Sam Dern:

This year’s Super Bowl is going to be a good one.  And while few are giving Denver a realistic shot, I think they’re going to pull the upset.  There’s no stopping Cam Newton, but Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, and company are tremendous and can slow him down.  Carolina’s lackluster receiving squad will struggle to get free against some of football’s best cover men, and Wade Phillips’ defense will fluster Cam in his first appearance on Super Bowl Sunday.  Peyton Manning will do just enough with his arm and his mind on the offensive side on the ball to keep the Panthers attack off the field and the scoreboard close.  When it’s all said and done, the Broncos win a tough, low-scoring battle, and Peyton Manning rides off into the sunset after what will be a fairy-tale ending to his stellar career. 20-16 Broncos.

And so who’s it going to be?  The Sheriff or football’s newest superstar?  Kubiak or Rivera?  Tune in Sunday night, February 7th, to find out.

Photo link: denver.cbslocal.com/2014/11/19/dolphins-look-to-pressure-peyton-manning/