‘Tis the Season for Girl Scout Cookies

[ot-caption title=”It’s that time of the year again- Girl Scout Cookies are back with a twist! (via, Flickr/Melissa Doroquez)”]

‘Tis the season for Girl Scout cookies! For all you dessert lovers out there, Girl Scout cookies are finally back. Whether you’re an avid fan or feel obligated to buy cookies from the cute little girls who chase you down at Publix, many are excited for the limited-time cookies. Before running out to do your everyday errands, be prepared to try to fight off the urge of indulging in these cookies. Pine Crest students seem to love their fair share of Girl Scout cookies. Senior Jordyn Elliot says that her favorite cookies are the Samoas, yet many would argue in favor of Thin Mints, especially when frozen. Fan favorites include Thin Mints (dark chocolate with mint) , Samoas (milk chocolate with coconut) and Tagalongs (milk chocolate with peanut butter). Recently, the addition of gluten free cookies has made an appearance to the market, allowing almost everyone to indulge in the delicious treat.

Senior Isabelle Turner gleams with a handful of Girl Scout Thin Mint boxes. (via Ana Simon, sophomore)

Girl Scout cookies have been sold for nearly one hundred years. Originally, these cookies began in the kitchens of young girls who were assisted by volunteering mothers. According to the Girl Scout Organization, the sale of cookies became an enjoyable and easy fundraising opportunity to raise money to pay for troop activities. Although, the main purpose for selling these cookies is to make money, it teaches the girls valuable life lessons such as social skills, money management and decision-making.

Sophomore, Emily Tomchin, has been an active member of the Girl Scout community for nine years. Recently, Emily has finished her gold award, the highest award a Girl Scout can receive. She has been working on a project called “Empowering Students Around the World,” which helps break the barrier for education inequality. With her cookie sale earnings, she was able to fund her project and purchase tablets for a school Haiti, as well as fund events for girls involved in engineering. Emily says that she enjoys the effects of her project. She stated, “I got some really great pictures of the students using the tablets for the first time, and I loved it when the younger Girl Scouts told me the event interested them in engineering!”

Whether you are looking to empower young girls or just hoping to enjoy a sweet snack, your purchases can help make a difference in the community.

Sources: