Wild Card Recap, NFL Playoff Preview

[ot-caption title=”New England Patriots Tom Brady hoists his fourth Lombardi trophy after his latest Super Bowl Victory” via AFP Photo/Elsa”]

After an unpredictable regular season, the NFL playoffs finally began on Saturday. The excitement was there, and where’s a better place to start than the 100,000 seat NRG stadium. And what does the NFL serve us on Saturday?[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

7 unwatchable quarters followed by organized violence, chaos and tears.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

That should about sum up the murder of the Texans and the self destruction of the Bengals. Those two games are not football, nor were they close to playoff caliber football. There is not much to say about Kansas City’s dominance, but after seeing the movie Concussion how are we supposed to accept what happened in the end of the Bengals’ game? Watching Vontaze Burfict get charged up after his teammate, Giovani Bernard, went down was awesome. He stood up for his brother and took over the game with unmatched intensity. And then he lost control. The hit on Antonio Brown was truly terrifying. As Brown’s motionless body fell to the ground with his eyes closed all I could hear was Will Smith saying “tell the truth”. It made me feel like I was supporting organized violence. That is not football. That is not what we will see in the rest of these playoffs.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

We come back on Sunday with temperatures below zero in Minnesota and “You Like That” towels in Washington, hoping for a fun day of competitive football. And Hallelujah! We weren’t disappointed! Even though the Seahawks- Vikings game was by no means a great game, how can you blame the guys playing in subzero temperatures. It was entertaining until the last moment, and made me remember why I hate the Seahawks. I, for one, did not expect a great game out of Washington and Green Bay, but it too was enjoyable and was close until Rodgers dominated the latter part of the third and fourth quarters. The Packers looked like a complete team and operated a masterful game-plan after the first quarter. Their offense came alive as if it had been sleeping all season. All four road teams won on wild card weekend, which shows how much it means to win for a team to win its division (see AFC South, NFC East).[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Now the big boys are in. Next week Brady, Manning, Newton, and Palmer take the field. They lead the four best teams all at home. The Patriots are healthy. Cam does not lose at home. The Cardinals play the most exciting version of football in the league. The Broncos sported a 12-4 record behind mediocre QB play.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

I nailed the MLB playoffs; let’s see if I’ve still got some gas left in the tank for these last seven NFL playoff games.[spacer height=”20px”]

Chiefs @ Patriots[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The spread: Patriots (-4.5)[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Patriots MVP: QB Tom Brady   |   Chiefs MVP: WR Jeremy Maclin[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Most recent meeting: 9/29/14 – Patriots get rocked by the Chiefs in Kansas City, 41-14. Going back a year to the last time these teams met, it was the fallout game for the Patriots. They fell to 2-3 after this loss, and for a week all you heard on TV was “is Brady done?” Of course, he responded by winning Super Bowl 49.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Patriots over Chiefs, 24-13. This game will likely be decided by the status of Jeremy Maclin. It was announced Sunday that he suffered a high ankle sprain in the third quarter of the wild card game, and he is questionable for Saturday. After looking at the play, Maclin stayed down for a considerable amount of time, leading fans to fear that he tore his ACL. Luckily he didn’t, but taking into account Maclin’s rather fragile past and the fact that he beats DB’s with his speed plus sharp routes, it is unlikely that he will play. That leaves an already shallow KC offense without Jamaal Charles and Maclin. While their defense is strong and the Patriots may have some trouble scoring at first, I just do not see Brady losing at home to a banged up Chiefs squad. Likely coming back for the Patriots are key parts WR Julian Edelman and DE Chandler Jones, amongst others.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Chiefs offense. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Steelers @ Broncos [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The spread: Broncos (-3) [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Broncos MVP: CB Aqib Talib   |   Steelers MVP: WR Antonio Brown [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Most recent meeting: 12/20/15 – Broncos fall in Pittsburgh, 34-27. In week 14 when these teams met it was one of the best games of the season, with an epic comeback from the Steelers and a meltdown from the Broncos on all fronts. Osweiler really struggled in the second half. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Steelers capitalize on Broncos’ mistakes, 17-7. This game hinges entirely on Peyton Manning. My pick will be completely wrong if he shows up like his old self, because if he does I think that the Broncos would wallop Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh also cannot win without Big Ben, so if he goes down they go down. The Broncos have handled their QB situation all wrong. Osweiler should start, with Manning waiting in the bullpen if Brock’s struggles continue. If Peyton fails and the Broncos are forced to switch to Osweiler, it is more viewable as a desperate prayer than a strategic switch. Denver has the #1 defense but the Steelers will muster up enough points to advance ti the AFC Championship game. It is just difficult to envision the Broncos putting enough points on the board in this one. I think I speak for all when saying that I really hope Peyton’s career does not end like this. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Peyton Manning. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Seahawks @ Panthers [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The spread: Panthers (-2.5) [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Panthers MVP: QB Cam Newton   |   Seahawks MVP: WR Doug Baldwin [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Most recent meeting: 10/18/15 – Panthers comeback in Seattle, 27-23This week 6 matchup was epic. The Panthers were surprising everyone and Cam Newton was not about to lose so early in the season. The Seahawks, on the other hand, fell to 2-4 and players verbally clashed on field. This was a season changing game on both ends. Fans and the media alike realized that Ron Rivera had the MVP leading his team and with one of the top defenses in the league the Panthers would be a force to be reckoned with. Meanwhile, Seattle was faltering. Was the Legion of Boom dead? Did Russell Wilson simply not have enough help on offense? What was with Jimmy Graham? While the last question has not and will not be answered this year, the other two certainly have. The Seahawks, entering the playoffs as the measly 6 seed, reminded us why we cannot stand them in their lucky win over Minnesota. Nonetheless, the Panthers are rested and 15-1, while the Seahawks have won 6 of their last 7. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Panthers win a shootout 31-28. The first meeting between these two teams was epic, the second one will not disappoint. This game, although it features top tier defenses, will be high scoring and tight until the end. Seattle will likely have feature back Marshawn Lynch ready to go as well. The Panthers may have trouble scoring at first due to their lack of weapons, but will eventually break through. Cam Newton is simply uncontainable and Carolina’s defense will be able to shut down the explosive Doug Baldwin. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Doug Baldwin.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Packers @ Cardinals [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The spread: Cardinals (-7.5) [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Packers MVP: QB Aaron Rodgers   |   Cardinals MVP: QB Carson Palmer [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Most recent meeting: 12/27/15 – Cardinals pummel Packers at home, 38-8This one was not even close. Everything I love about the Cardinals was on display. Their exciting vertical offense was firing on all cylinders, and rookie RB David Johnson took over the game catching passes out of the backfield. The Packers did not stand a chance. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Cardinals crush Packers, 35-10. They don’t stand a chance in this one, either. The Cardinals are awesome. They keep coming at you, whether it be hail mary’s or unrecognizable blitzes. My pick for coach of the year, Bruce Arians, has this team in complete control and they look like a legit contender. The problem is, without Tyrann Mathieu, there is a huge hole in the Cardinals’ secondary. However, Green Bay does not have the weapons to exploit a downgraded Cardinals’ defense. The Packers may have turned some heads with a convincing victory over Washington, but let’s remember who Washington really was, and who the Cardinals are. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Packers secondary.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

AFC Championship Game: Steelers @ Patriots [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Patriots over Steelers, 31-14. These two teams kicked off the NFL season way back in September, and the Patriots were ready to begin their quest to defend their crown. They won 28-21, but the game was not as close as the scoreboard suggests. The Steelers seemed ready to begin rebuilding, with a weak offensive line and soft defense. Oh, how a season changes in 19 weeks. The Steelers will simply be too tired to win their third straight grueling road game, and expect Roethlisberger to be banged up after the Denver game. Healthy New England will not have to move from their home turf. Do not expect Brady’s quest against the NFL to end at home, nonetheless against Pittsburgh. Let us remind ourselves what this season has been all about for him. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Patriots offensive line.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

NFC Championship Game: Cardinals @ Panthers [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Cardinals squeak out in the game we’ve wanted all year, 27-24. Ah, #1 vs. #2. The likely MVP vs. his potential runner up. Teams perfectly constructed on both sides of the ball. This game has it all. In what will be the game of the year, the Cardinals will bombard the Panthers with their passing attack. Josh Norman is great, but he is only one. He can take Larry Fitzgerald, but what about Michael Floyd, John Brown, and Jaron Nelson? David Johnson is also a nightmare for linebackers in coverage catching passes out of the backfield. The Panthers simply won’t be able to hold Arizona’s passing game back. Again, Arizona is exploitable down the middle of the field without the Honey Badger, but Cam’s lack of weapons will defeat him. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

X Factor: Both teams’ secondaries.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Super Bowl 50: Cardinals vs. Patriots – Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The pick: Patriots repeat in thrilling fashion, 37-31. This will be a shootout. It will be up and down all night. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I just do not see Tom Brady losing in these playoffs. He is too motivated, he is at home, he feels like he has a point to prove, and his team is healthy. The fact that he, Terrific Tom Brady, feels like he has a point to prove is terrifying. Brady’s whole season has been driven by the fact that he is not a cheater. He hates the NFL and wants everyone to know that he is the greatest QB of all time. In my eyes he is, and ring #5 will only strengthen his cause. All season he did it without his receivers. They don’t have a running back, and they had half of an offensive line. It just did not matter. You cannot stop Brady. This is by all means a great Arizona team, but they will finally run into someone who can play their fast game in the Patriots, and with a healthy receiving core the Patriots will be the team to exploit Arizona’s defense. The Patriots, to the NFL’s dismay, will cap what was their season from the start on Super Bowl Sunday. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Super Bowl MVP: Tom Brady.