Crash Course: Awards Season 2016

[ot-caption title=”The esteemed red carpet at the 81st Annual Academy Awards awaits the most talented people in the film industry before the show. (via, Greg Hernandez, Wikipedia)”]

As we enter the New Year and say goodbye to our beloved holiday decorations and festive mood, a new wave of excitement is quickly bestowed upon pop-culture lovers all over. From film and television shows to music, awards season is definitely something to look forward to during the first few months of the year. This festive season full of funny presenters and outstanding performances kicked off last Sunday, January 10th with the 73rd Golden Globe Awards, being the first of many. The Golden Globe Awards honor the best in film and television; actor and comedian Ricky Gervais hosted the exciting show and showed viewers what is to come during the rest of the season. At times, with so many different award shows on tap, it’s hard to keep track of when the shows are airing and what music to listen to and movies to watch to stay updated!  To help keep you in the loop with all the major award ceremonies being held in January and February, here is a crash course on all you need to know and who to look out for so that you can just pull out the popcorn and enjoy!

22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards

The Screen Actors Guild Awards presents thirteen awards to recognize exceptional performances in both film and television. The SAG Awards recognizes the entire cast of a motion picture and stunt ensemble, helping them to stand out among other shows. In order to win a SAG award, the cast, movie, or star is voted on by their peers (when featured in a credited role, the actor/actress receives a SAG card and that is who votes for the winner of these awards). Unlike other renowned award shows, the SAG Awards last around two hours, so it is a great event for beginners to kick off the awards season.

When: Saturday, January 30, 2016

Where to Watch: TBS and TNT at 8 p.m. ET

Actors to Watch Out for: Bryan Cranston, Leonardo Dicaprio, Eddie Redmayne, Michael Fassbender, Cate Blanchett, Helen Mirren, Viola Davis, Peter Dinklage, Kevin Spacey, Jim Parsons, Uzo Aduba

Casts to Watch Out for: Straight Outta Compton, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men

58th Annual Grammy Awards

Without a doubt, the Grammies are music’s biggest night of the year. This year’s host is rapper and actor LL Cool J, who is returning after hosting the 55th Annual Grammy Awards in 2013 and the 57th Grammy Awards last year. The Grammy Awards recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry and always features performances by some of the most prominent artists every year (and even some cool collaborations).

When: Monday, February 15, 2016

Where to Watch: CBS at 8 p.m. ET

Artists to Watch Out for: Kendrick Lamar (11 nominations), Taylor Swift (7 nominations), The Weeknd (7 nominations), Meghan Trainor, Fetty Wap, Drake

88th Academy Awards

Actor and comedian Chris Rock returns to host this years Academy Awards after previously hosting 11 years ago. This event, also famously known as the Oscars, honors all cinematic achievements in the film industry and is arguably the most important and prestigious honor someone working in a film can receive. Only the best actors, directors, producers, and crew are nominated for this award, so be sure to watch this event to become familiar with the top-notch films and performances of the year.

When: Sunday, February 28, 2016

Where to Watch: ABC at 7 p.m. EST

Who to Watch Out for: Nominations for the Academy Awards will be announced on January 14, so be sure to check which actors and movies came out on top this year!

Sources: Billboard, CNN, Grammys, Oscars, Screen Actors Guild Awards, Golden Globe Awards

Image source: Greg Hernandez, Wikipedia