Give Thanks To Your Community

Food donated to the Thanksgiving Drive (via Freshman, Rose Rothschild)

[ot-caption title=”Thanksgiving food recently donated by Pine Crest students to help the local community. (via Rose Rothschild, Freshman)”]

At Pine Crest, we realize the importance of always helping people around us and making an impact on the community. Fortunately, Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday that provides plenty of opportunities for people to show their gratitude and give back. For those who want to volunteer, look no further.

On Wednesday, November 25th from 6-9 PM and on Thursday, November 26th from 8:30 AM-4:30 PM, Community Outreach for Thanksgiving Holiday Orphan Meal is looking for volunteers to decorate, as well as load and unload boxes.  This organization provides people with a festive Thanksgiving holiday meal.

From November 24th to 26th, Big Heart Brigade is seeking volunteers who can help unload and set up for their annual Thanksgiving Feast, which provides the community with a Thanksgiving meal.

In addition, for those who want to seek a more active role in their service, the Turkey Trot is taking place on the 26th. Registration opens at 6 A.M. and the race starts at 7:30 A.M. The organization is looking for volunteers as well as people who want to take part in the race.  The race is a 5K run or walk, and is a fun way to work up an appetite for a big Thanksgiving dinner later in the day.

If you are busy or unavailable during the Thanksgiving break, there are plenty of charities that need donations. The Homeless Voice and Miami Rescue Mission Broward Outreach Centers are two charities that would appreciate your support.

In the upcoming weeks, there are a few drives going on at our very own Pine Crest campus. The Beta Club is collecting new, unwrapped toys, with each toy resulting in one hour of community service. Jack Crissy has teamed up with Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen, the very same charity that received the cereal boxes from homecoming Cereal-Struction, and is now collecting jars of jam or jelly. For every five jars donated, students will receive one hour of community service. In addition, Emmy Foltz is working with Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies and will be collecting books for children up to the age of five. For every five books donated, students will receive one hour of community service. Lastly, PCCF will begin their candy cane sale on November 30th, and all funds collected go to charity.

Type One wishes all its readers a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. Remember to take some time to focus on those less fortunate and lend a helping hand to the community over this upcoming break.

Sources: Hands On Broward, Big Heart Brigade, Turkey Trot FTL, Homeless Voice, Miami Rescue Mission, Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen, Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies, Andrea Tomassini