Victoria Secret Fashion Show 2015

[ot-caption title=”The entrance to the infamous Victoria Secret store, showcasing some of the looks from one of the past runway shows. (via, Samantha Marx, Wikipedia)”]

The smell of hairspray, snapping of selfies, and the donning of extravagant wings is an occurrence that sounds all too familiar when discussing the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Forty-seven world-class models strutting down the catwalk alongside some of the most prominent pop artists is no rare sight at this yearly occurrence. 2015 marks the brand’s 20th show, so there are many high expectations for the infamous lingerie brand.  Viewers will get to experience it all for themselves when the fashion show airs in over 185 countries.

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show will air on CBS on December 8, 2015, but Victoria’s Secret fans around the world were able to get a sneak peek of this year’s looks from photographs and videos taken during its filming on November 10. Snapchat even featured an event titled “VS Fashion Show” to give viewers sneak peaks and a behind the scenes look which included photos and brief interviews with the models.The famed lingerie company is known for its selection of top models, known as Victoria’s Secret angels.  These angels don their unique wings that have become emblematic of the brand to transform them into true angels. This year, some of these veteran angels walking down the runway included: Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima, Candice Swanepoel, Lily Aldrige, and Behati Prinsloo.  Prinsloo opened the show for the second year in a row, an honor only given to two other angels in history.  Famous angels not walking this year include Cara Delevingne and Karlie Kloss.  Five of the select angels walking the catwalk for the 2015 fashion show rank on Forbes’ highest paid models list, earning a combined $28.5 million dollars in salary.

This year, the brand has introduced two fresh, young faces that are the epitome of what Victoria’s Secret tries to embody through their clothing and products. Newbie angels walking for Victoria’s Secret this year include twenty-year-olds Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner. Hadid shared the moment she found out she would be included in the lineup of models through a video posted on Instagram to her 8.4 million followers. In the video, the young model falls to the floor in front of casting directors and gasps in excitement after hearing the news. When asked about being in the show, Hadid said, “I’ve watched the show my entire life and this has been such a dream.”  Hadid had tried out two times before to become an angel, but luckily third time’s the charm.  Kendall Jenner, an infamous member of the Kardashian Klan, was also cast to strut her stuff on the catwalk this season.  Both girls, members of Taylor Swift’s girl squad and besties at heart, were thrilled to debut themselves as new angels alongside one another.

In addition to the talented models on the runway, the show always includes performances by musical guests. This year, The Weeknd, Ellie Goulding, and Selena Gomez, currently three of the most well known artists in the music industry, performed for the highly anticipated show. Each year, Victoria Secret invites different musical artists to perform as models walk to add to the glitz and glamour and help set the mood. For the past two years country-turned-pop artist Taylor Swift has performed, but this year best friend Selena Gomez is filling her shoes to put on quite the show.

Not only are the celebrities on stage something to look forward to, but the star-studded audience also attracts quite a bit of attention. Front row audience members included Catilyn Jenner and Kris Jenner, parents of featured model Kendall Jenner.  Other celebrity sightings included Austin Mahone, Tyga, and countless others.

Through photographs posted online from press as well as the angels themselves, we can see that this year’s show features themes such as 1960s bohemian, exotic butterflies, ice angels, and even patriotic fireworks. Tune into CBS on December 8, 2015 at 10/9 Central to see this year’s stunning show!

Sources: Victoria’s Secret, Forbes, CBS News, USA Today, Hollywood Life, E Online, Vanity Fair

Photo Source: Samantha Marx/CC BY 2.0