What’s Hot & What’s Not: Pumpkin Products 2015

[ot-caption title=”One of the glorious symbols of fall: the pumpkin! (via, Wikipedia/Danielle Scott)”]

The months of September, October, and November officially mark the arrival of the fall season. Along with fall comes a wave of excitement for activities such as Homecoming, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Living in South Florida, we don’t experience the true essence of fall, like dusting off our coats from the back of the closet and feeling the crunch of crisp, colorful leaves underneath our steps. But, we can all associate autumn with one particular product: pumpkin. From Halloween jack-o-lanterns to Thanksgiving pumpkin bread, this plump crop takes over the season of harvest.

During fall, every product on the shelves of stores is inevitably “pumpkinized.” Something about the delectable nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin blend immediately gets people into the spirit of fall and symbolizes the beginning of the holiday season. Pumpkin is featured in an array of seasonal products; some are gifts to our senses while others should stay in the pumpkin fields. As of July 2015, sales of pumpkin items soared to 360 million dollars, 11% more than sales in 2014 and 80% more sales since 2011. In terms of this pumpkin obsession, it is insanely easy to encounter pumpkin products all over the market. While some pumpkin specialities exceed our expectations, others will make us want to run back to summer.

What’s hot:

1. Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte: Honestly, Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, PSL for short, is probably the trendiest and most talked about pumpkin product on the market today.  Just weeks before the annual arrival of this iconic drink, the flourishing coffee chain made an announcement that would revolutionize its fan base for the upcoming fall season. On September 8, 2015, Starbucks released their new and improved beverage now made with real pumpkin rather than artificial flavoring in order to improve customer satisfaction. After 12 years in the making, the PSL has become the epitome of seasonal beverages and is sure to make its way into the hearts of all coffee-lovers.  To even further expand their followers’ fall season obsessions, they introduced the Toasted Graham Latte, which is their first new autumn themed drink in four years!
  2. Yankee Candle’s Spiced Pumpkin Candle: Pumpkin candles and other holiday theme scents are a great way to get into the autumn mood.  This particular candle is a mixture of pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon that will make your home feel cozy and perfect for fall. Unlike many other pumpkin products, candles can last relatively long, so they can be used throughout the entire season.  There is an array of candles of this type all over the market, so try out a few and see which one suits your pumpkin obsession the best!

What’s not:

1. Burt’s Bees Pumpkin Spice Lip Balm: The sensation of pumpkin spice takes over the tastebuds and aroma during autumn, but pumpkin-spiced lip balm seems to have pushed this craze a little too far. Although its smell may be deceiving, this product seems to be less enjoyable and more of a discomfort to our mouths, leaving a lingering burn on chapped lips.  Lip balms are usually sweet and fruity, and this new take on a traditional product is a flop more than a success.
  2. Pumpkin Pie Spice Pringles: Pringles are known for their salty flavor and undeniably crunchy goodness.  For this fall, Pringles has unveiled limited edition pumpkin flavored chips. The sweetness of the pumpkin flavoring is not compatible with the salty chips, thus losing the satisfaction associated with this seasonal foods.  Although Pringles and many other chip brands have had success creating innovative new chips out of unthinkable, this new flavor will not be flying off the shelves in the snack aisle.

Whether or not you have a profuse passion for pumpkin or a pitiful pit in your stomach when you hear the word, it is easy to agree that pumpkin goods have rapidly taken over the seasonal market. What’s next for the future of pumpkin items is unknown, but there is sure to be a myriad of new products next year that people will be eager to test out. Stay tuned for the gingerbread and peppermint takeover this winter!

Source: Washington Post, Starbucks, Yankee Candle