Chill’N Ice Cream: Scientifically Delicious

[ot-caption title=”A sneak peak of the inside of the ice cream parlor, Chill’N. (via Ana Simon, sophomore)”]

Trends and fads emerge on the daily, while old ones fade away.  However, one older trend that made it through its early stages and is now a food phenomenon is located right here in Fort Lauderdale, a new and innovative ice cream shop called Chill’N. Former UF student, Danny Golik and UM student, Chuck Woodward put their school rivalries aside and collaborated together to come up with a new way to serve ice cream. Their unique concept of adding liquid nitrogen to ice cream was just a mere thought that was created into their first shop in 2012.

A common question among most people when they hear of this is: How do they actually create ice cream with liquid nitrogen?  Well, the liquid nitrogen is mixed with an ice cream solution and freezes within seconds. Nitrogen, in its liquid form, is about -320 degrees and freezes the ice cream base instantly, but is it safe? When asked, the Chill’N staff assures costumers that it is totally harmless. Nitrogen makes up three quarters of the air we breathe, so in other words, we are safe. Although liquid nitrogen still has harmful risks at such cold temperatures, the “Nitrogen Ninjas” at Chill’N are trained to use it safely through extensive training and safety precautions.

This original idea has created an immense buzz throughout the South Florida community. Since the opening of the first location in Miami, the business has flourished beyond expectations. This duo now has three Chill’N stores in operation: Aventura, Pinecrest, and Fort Lauderdale. The Fort Lauderdale location has only been opened for just about four short weeks and is an extremely short distance from school. Not only is the ice cream delicious and located close to school, but its atmosphere evokes a scientific feel with a large periodic table on the wall, altered to match the ice cream flavors and toppings.

Golik and Woodward are extremely understanding and flexible with student employees. Pine Crest Junior, Deanna Hennelly, works at the newly opened location. She began working on opening day, about four weeks ago, and has loved her experience so far. The only true challenge she has faced so far is becoming acquainted with the extensive and sometimes confusing menu.  The menu is set up like a periodic table to highlight the scientific elements of their ice cream. For example, coffee ice cream would read on the menu as “Ce,” playing off of the element Cerium. Deanna stated, “Learning the codes was like learning a new language. But, just like when you are visiting a country that doesn’t speak the same language as you, you must learn the language to function.” Although she struggled in the beginning to become familiar with the menu, she is now extremely well acquainted and loves every second of working at Chill’N.

If you are looking for a fun and new way to eat ice cream, Chill’N is definitely a spot you should check out! With endless amounts of ice cream combinations, Chill’N is scientifically delicious. They are open seven days a week, so definitely try to stop by; it’s only a ten minute drive from school!

Source: Miami New Times, Chill’N