The Hottest Fashion Trends for 2015

Representations from Fashion Week 2015

[ot-caption title=”Sophomore Skylar Pollack modeling some of fashion’s biggest trends for 2015. (via, Ana Simon/Sophomore)”]

As another summer comes to a close, another fashion season begins filled with new styles, extravagant trends, and blossoming designers. With more collections being premiered at this year’s Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week than ever before, fashion lovers from all over were amazed with the dazzling event. Designers come from near and far to exhibit their latest spring and summer collections at Fashion Week. Some Pine Crest students even had the special opportunity to attend the event.  Sophomore Sophie Glassman attended shows like the Rachel Zoe Presentation and Diane Von Furstenberg’s runway show; Sophie shared, “Fashion Week was an amazing experience! Being able to see each designer create such unique sceneries and moods was great.”

Countless new trends appeared at Fashion Week this year, ranging from fringe, to an emphasis on colors like orange and navy.  Some of the most popular trends featured neutral, skin-toned colors, menswear for women, and pajama-looking attire that can be worn out of the house.

Branching out from the music industry, Kanye West is now storming the fashion scene with his Yeezy for Adidas Collection. He made his mark at the New York Fashion Week show last Wednesday, and his designs were the talk of the town; they are noted for their innovative and almost futuristic nature. The new spring collection show had models strutting down center stage, flaunting West’s nude-colored outfits. Although the models were dressed to an extreme, matching their natural skin tone, this trend can actually be a very practical attire.  Kanye chose to depict his models in oversized jackets along with body hugging skin toned pieces. To create a more casual, everyday look while mimicking Kanye West’s style, a skin toned t-shirt paired with ripped jeans would definitely do the trick.  In addition, you can pair different colored skin toned pieces together, like blazers, skirts, and tanks, to create a fabulous outfit!

During Donna Karen’s annual DKNY show, she morphed the edgy New York City look with an everyday, working women’s attire to create a sophisticated, but laid-back menswear collection for women. When she launched DKNY in 1989, New York City was a place full of construction and conservativeness. Her brand has transformed from the late 20th century image of high profile and professional women, to accommodating the everyday women. Some of her main styles include oversized blazers as mini dresses, wrapped skirts, and a plain white t-shirts. These are extremely versatile menswear pieces that can be both dressed up and dressed down. A perfect look that shows both casual and professional qualities is pairing a white skirt and blouse with a oversized suit jacket. Her innovative way of integrating menswear in women’s fashion really stood out among the other designers.

Another style that has blossomed on the Fashion Week runway is something that would never be expected from the fashion industry.  Comfort!  Yes, comfort!  Many designers took a new spin on the regular boring pajamas and made them into funky pieces that are socially acceptable to wear out of the house. They are incorporating this trend through the use of romantic camisoles, satin blouses, and lounging pants. This trending style rests on the fine line of comfort and style, but with one wrong piece, it may look as if you “rolled out of bed wearing that.” To prevent a pajama party mishap, style a pair of printed jogger pants with a nice, silk top for a more formal look or a solid colored camisole to appear more casual.

Although new trends can sometimes be intimidating, as they are shown on such an extreme scale on the runway, they can actually turn out to be fitting attire in any setting.  Fashion is a way for everyone to express themselves and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week helps fashion divas stay on track and up to date with the latest styles.

Sources: LA Times, Huffington Post