Trend Guide 101…For Those Still Stuck in the Past

[ot-caption title=”Taylor Swift on New Years Eve in Times Square. (via Charles Sykes/AP Images)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/taylorswift.jpg”]

It’s that point in the school year; everyone is finally resituated after a relaxing break, but on the verge of slipping back into the daze of late sleep and no homework once again as our famous Ski Break is around the corner. It is also that time of the year where gossip and trends fade out from the 2k14 craze and new ones make their way into society’s current buzz. From fashion to music, there are many big no no’s as to what is “in” versus what is “so last year.” However, for those who lag behind to those with their weekly, daily, or obsessive hourly updates of the current fads and fixations, here is one of those “Lessons for Dummies” on what’s booming in our culture and what should mentally be scratched out with a red X.

#10 IN- Netflix OUT- TV

Hopefully most people have already caught on to this, but Netflix seems to be the go-to for most movies, television, and their own series, like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. It is notoriously known for sucking people into the black hole of binge watching and has over 50 million subscribers. Unfortunately, this burst in television via the web has left many television and cable boxes in the cold to collect dust.

#9 IN- Espadrilles OUT- Jean Jackets

It’s nice to know that no matter how beaten down it may seem at times, the jean jacket will always have a comeback. A classic and casual piece from the 1980s, the jean jacket was used to dress-down an outfit, to create a more boy next door type of look. Thirty years later it came rushing back as another mania where parents pulled out their former attire from the back of their closets and stores began to overprice the denim by coating them with studs and zippers. It’ll always be a classic, but let’s try for 2030 because this look is very worn out at this point. Out with the denim, and in with the canvas. Sort of a mix between the sandal and the sneaker, espadrilles hit their peak the past couple of months, having been sold in all stores featuring different varieties. (A really popular pair now is sold by Steve Madden starting at $60.) They are such a hit because of their uniqueness to add a pop in a casual setting while completing a more formal look with a tad of spunk in another. Definitely recommend hanging up the jacket for a new pair of kicks.

#8 IN- Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Cores OUT- Self Serve Frozen Yogurt

Thirty different flavors and toppings sounds so enticing, but when they’ve been touched by a variety of germs and hands…it means it’s time for a new way to enjoy your ice cream. Anyway, self serve frozen yogurt has melted away over the past couple of years and the excitement has shifted towards Ben and Jerry’s new creation: the Cores. They blend two different ice cream flavors together in one pint, separated by a core down the middle made with fudge, caramel, or raspberry jam. Next time you’re at the market grab a pint…or six, and forget about feeling self-conscious when you weigh your fro-yo in front of the judgmental cashier.

#7 IN- Hozier OUT- Imagine Dragons

Although Imagine Dragons recently released a new album, it hasn’t been doing too swell on the iTunes charts, and there hasn’t been much word of it on the radio either. The up and coming artist, Hozier, has been escalating through the charts and is currently at number one on Top Rock Albums for “Take me to Church.” Blending soul and rock together, it has been a smash hit that leaves people struggling to sing along in the many low verses.

#6 IN- “Uptown Funk” OUT- “Stay With Me”

Bruno Mars cannot be stopped; having written over a hundred songs for other artists and for his own career, Mars has everybody in an “Uptown Funk” fever, posting YouTube videos and other funny clips singing along. Sam Smith has also been popular recently with “Not the Only One,” but his other single “Stay With Me” has reached its end. Due to the countless times it has been played on the radio, it has people screaming “ENOUGH!”

#5 IN- Lulu Lemon OUT- Pink

The brand Pink sort of had this downward spiral coming because it is a very one-sided clothing store that only appeals to women with a very specific taste: sparkles and flash. Except Lulu Lemon has become a fan favorite of all people, both men and women, into fitness or just LOOKING like they’re into fitness. Lulu Lemon ranges from their famous headbands, to thicker jackets when working out in the cold. In years past, many wore the Pink yoga pants or sweat suits, bedazzled in sparkles and with their large logo on the rear end or back. Now, Pink has gone downhill and no one has really been trying to start that trend back up again.

#4 IN- Acai Bowls Out- Fried Food

Acai, pronounced ah-sigh, is a dark purple berry that is blended in bowls of fruit and granola. The trending health food started in juice bars and health restaurants, but now they’ve reached more chain eateries, like Jamba Juice, which has taken a healthier turn with a wider selection of cleaner and fresher items. Aside from fried chicken, which will never fade out of the hearts of all Americans, the concept of frying random foods has teetered. It is rare that you’ll hear of fried Oreos or zucchini anymore in most restaurants because of the overall fascination with being healthier.

#3 IN- French Braid Pigtails OUT- Miley Cyrus Buns

Both hairstyles were launched by stars dominating in the music business, but the retro, schoolgirl look of French braids have been overpowering the double buns that were a hit last year. Iggy Azalea rocks the braids while Miley Cyrus tricks out her style with the buns, but while both are unique looks, the braids are just more popular now…simple as that.

#2 IN- Eddie Redmayne OUT- Jared Leto

Jared Leto, an Oscars extraordinaire from last year, blew away viewers in Dallas Buyers Club with Matthew McConaughey for his role as a transvestite. However, this year the actor, or more appropriately the former actor, has slipped away from the limelight and back into his groove of music in his band Thirty Seconds to Mars. The main actor in The Theory of Everything, Eddie Redmayne has finally made it in the big leagues. Even though his career technically didn’t start with this movie, having been in Les Misérables in 2012, the Golden Globe and SAG Award definitely was a little boost to get the momentum going.

#1 IN- Pop Taylor Swift OUT- Country T-Swizzle

Taking the glory of the #1 spot, everyone can agree that Tay the Country Gal has taken a little breather while her alter ego and pop sensation, Taylor Swift, has stolen the number one spot on iTunes every week since the release of her album of 1989. When everyone thought that “Shake It Off” was just a minor blip for the country artist and that it’d pass, they were wrong. Soon after “Shake It Off” blew up, her other hits from the album rapidly increased too, like “Style,” “Welcome to New York,” and “Blank Space.” Swift’s identity as everyone’s favorite country sweetheart may not make another appearance anytime soon, but it’ll always be remembered in our hearts. RIP Country T-Swizzle.

Trends may come and go, but it is always important to stay true to your own interests and style. Just remember that there is a happy medium in between staying caught up in a fad from 2009 and hopping from one new mania to the next.

Sources: CNN, Steve Madden