What Happened to Art Competitions?

[ot-caption title=”I was glad to stumble upon a gem, the ArtBRAVO! juried fine arts show (via Alina Carey, senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/rittenhouse-art-680uw.jpg”]ArtBRAVO!

Juried Fine Arts Competition

ArtServe, Fort Lauderdale

January 7th – 30th

What ever happened to the juried art competition? Last time I checked, the amount of art competitions available paled in comparison to the amount of galleries filled with professional artworks. That is why I was glad to stumble upon a gem, the ArtBRAVO! juried fine arts show last weekend at ArtServe in Fort Lauderdale.

When I first walked into ArtBRAVO!, the diversity of artwork displayed intrigued me. Artists are able to submit any type of art to the competition, from photographs to sculptures. Paintings of abstract clouds and portraits decorated the walls, and detailed sculptures stood in corners. One particular piece of art caught my eye, a photograph called Old Meets New by Debbie Rubin. The photograph displayed an old faucet running in the backyard of a house, with a vast country landscape in the backyard. I loved the colors within the photograph, and how the photograph had a way of pulling the viewer into a world of farmhouses and the country lifestyle. I wished I had enough money to purchase the artwork. Artwork is available to the viewers for purchase, but at a hefty price. The majority of artwork displayed is priced at $1,000 or above.

The best part about ArtBRAVO! is the fact that I could view this vast assortment of beautiful artworks for free! The competition requires all competing artists to pay a submission fee in order to have their artworks considered for the competition. The judges of this esteemed art competition are the entrepreneurs and artists Kim Yantis and Maria Napoles. The winners of the competition will be announced on January 30th.

ArtBRAVO! is open until January 30th, so go check out the exhibition while you can. Its location is close, its admission price is free, and its hours are more than convenient. Go down to ArtServe in Fort Lauderdale and check out their newest art exhibit, ArtBRAVO! Maybe you will even end up leaving with a purchased painting of your own.

For more information, visit:

http://www.artserve.org/