The Hour of Code: Programming for All

A Program written in the Java language (via Andre Radensky, sophomore)

[ot-caption title=”A program written in the java language (via Andre Radensky, sophomore)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_20141205_123033.jpg”]

The Hour of Code is an initiative that hopes to bring people who would be less likely to try programming and computer science to do so in an interactive and entertaining manner. With the advent of computers having an increased presence in virtually every major industry today, there is a higher demand for more computer minded graduates with programming experience.

Fundamentally, the Hour of Code is a drastically simplified version of programming. The purpose of the Hour of Code is to entice individuals who are hesitant or disinterested in the subject of computer science to plunge deeper into the field after having this pleasurable experience. What will be occurring at Pine Crest will be an ad hoc group of students who, with their computers, will guide the newcomers through the completion of games like Angry Birds and Flappy Bird while incorporating foundational portions of coding. The core ideas that make up the fundamentals of computer science are represented in a digestible and interactive way in order to appeal to all people.

[ot-caption title=”The Hour Code comes to PC this year on December 8th in the Student Union. Source: CUEBC.ca” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/hour-of-code.png”]

Mr. Perez, Pine Crest’s Computer Science teacher, professes his belief in the intrigue of the abstract nature of coding saying, “Computer Science takes you on a thrilling ride through discovery and creativity that empowers you to solve difficult problems, with elegance and beauty.”

[ot-caption title=”Mr. Perez, Pine Crest Computer Science teacher (via Jack Steinberg, Sophomore)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/DSC_0140.jpg”]

While the concept of providing a given sixty minute block of coding to lure naysayers into the realm of computer science may seem simplistic, if even one person could be swayed into the realm of coding, the hour would be a marvelous success. As technology and computing invades virtually ever space and field, the influx of programmers (especially female ones) is not up to par for the demand. This necessitates such actions to be taken in order for more people to be enticed by computer science. Jake Lieberfarb, a sophomore who takes Computer Science states, “The Hour of Code exposes people to a new world that is very interesting. An intangible few lines of code can create genuine experiences.” The simplified mechanisms with stringing commands together will have students make a functional flappy bird and move angry birds around on a virtual board.

Please come down to the Student Union on Tuesday, December 9th and Thursday, December 11th during lunch periods 4-7 to be ushered into the world of computer programming.

Sources: Pine Crest School, Code.org