Writer of the Week: Madison Herin

[ot-caption title=”” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/writer-of-the-week-banner.jpg”]

Name: Madison Herin

Grade: 12

Favorite author: Kate Chopin or Thomas Hardy

Favorite poet: Emily Dickinson

Favorite quote: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau

Favorite book: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

This week’s Creative Expressions feature writer,  senior Madison Herin finds a creative outlet in poetry. Below is “Drowning,”a poem she wrote.

“Drowning”

I’m drowning in myself

I can’t catch a break

And can’t catch a breath

I’m drowning, the darkness spreading

Seeping into my heart

And seeping into the fabric of my soul

Teach me how to keep the water out

I’m shivering, trembling silently

As I sink deeper and farther away

Soon I’ll be done

With the water in my lungs and the air far gone

My mind is gone too

Here is what Madison had to say about her creative process and her writing when she sat down with Type One this week.

T1: When did you begin to write?

Madison: I first began to write when I started middle school.

T1: What is the main reason you write?

Madison: I mainly write to help express my feelings and emotions. I don’t usually write my poetry based on made up stories; instead I write about how I feel or what is going on in my life.

T1: What is your biggest source of inspiration for your writing.

Madison: My biggest source of inspiration for my writing is my life. I usually write about how I’m feeling or a big event. I do also take inspiration from other writers’ work and their writing styles once in a while, both poets and artists.

T1: Are you working on any particular poem or story right now?

Madison: Unfortunately, not right now. I have some poem topics in mind that I want to write about and a couple of general storylines that I’ve been thinking about for a while. Right now I’m really busy with school, but once second semester begins I know I will do a lot of writing because I will have some more free time.

T1: I know sometimes people have trouble concentrating when they are writing and that some writers have to go through a specific process in order to be able to write.What is your creative process like?

Madison: To be honest, I don’t force myself to write. I only write when I really feel the need to write down my feelings or get a little creative. Usually my idea for a poem is already in my head as well as a few general ideas for some lines, so I will just sit down and get it done really quickly, like within 5 or 10 minutes; my poetry is usually short, so that helps. Because my writing is more personal than anything, I don’t feel the need to edit a lot or rewrite until it is perfect. If it doesn’t come to me I will just put it aside and come back to it.

T1: Do you take any specific steps to ensure you won’t be distracted?

Madison: Since I already have an idea I want to write about, I don’t usually get distracted, but I will try to sit somewhere quiet and sometimes listen to some music to block everything else out.