Does Homecoming Actually Limit PC Spirit?

[ot-caption title=”Mrs. Ledbetter’s Senior Post-AP Art History Seminar students show their class spirit, sporting yellow and black. (via Lindsay Sack, Senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/faceofffinal.jpg”]

This year, Homecoming was fun, energetic, and unmistakably spirited. The Powderpuff game, pep rally and football game displayed incredible Panther pride, but is the length of Homecoming actually limiting PC spirit?

[accordion][acc title=”Yes – Mariana Paez, Sophomore”]In terms of time, this year’s Homecoming was a slight improvement over last year’s because of the addition of events on Wednesday after the PSAT, such as the decoration of the hallways and sidewalk chalk competition. However, the fact still remains that Homecoming “Week” was really only two and a half days. This phenomenon seems understandable if the two and a half days are fully filled with time dedicated to celebrating school spirit. However, this was not the case, homecoming festivities lasted just over an hour each day on Thursday and Friday (2:20 to 3:38). It seems as if every year homecoming is planned the same week as the PSAT or the College Fair. No matter the conflict, the end result is fewer dress-down days and fewer activities throughout the week. Although the students never fail to be supportive and energetic during homecoming, the student body would be even more spirited and would have an even more memorable time if allowed to go all out for one full week of school-wide festivities and celebrations.

Sophomore Caroline Sachse said, “If we had a full week of Homecoming, the student body could have more creative themed dress down days and a greater variety of activities. Since teachers are already limiting homework and classwork, what is the point of wasting the free time with regular classes?”

Despite these setbacks, however, the entire student body did pull through this year by showing unmistakable Panther spirit, making this homecoming very exciting and memorable.[/acc][/accordion]

[accordion][acc title=”No – Madeleine Turner, Sophomore”]Many students at Pine Crest argue that the Homecoming “Week,” two and half days this year, is an insufficient amount of time to celebrate school spirit. However, the practical implications of the shortened week need to be considered. When a student enrolls in Pine Crest, he or she signs up for the highly rigorous yet rewarding curriculum.

Sophomore Henri Vrod stated, “I do not like the short Homecoming week, but it is understandable when you think of it from the point of view of a teacher or administrator.”

At PC, the administrators have selected teachers who have meticulously planned their teaching in order to prepare students to learn as much as possible and meet exam obligations. When an event such as Homecoming comes around, teachers must prepare shorter lessons that still fully cover a certain concept. The activities hinder teachers who have a hard time condensing lessons, as some students shift their focus from the classroom to the events and activities of Homecoming.  One teacher Ms. Sarasua stated, “a shorter week actually benefits the teachers because students are not focused or serious during Homecoming.  It is better to have two days with a lack of focus than five days.

Student Council Sponsor Ms. Alexanderson added, “the shorter week allows us to pack the school day with activities and have a lot of participation.  With a longer week, students would lax in their participation.  A shorter week with massive participation outweighs a longer week with scarce participation during events.  Students should appreciate the fun activities planned during Homecoming and leave the length up for discussion by administration.

Perhaps if students showed normal participation in classes during events like homecoming, administration would consider a more lenient policy when it comes to the homecoming schedule. Until then, students must remember that they are still enrolled in a school that aims to prep students for college.[/acc][/accordion]