The Cookie Crumbles: An Inside Scoop on the Student Store

[ot-caption title=”The Student Store is a great place to find snacks throughout the day. (via Annika Polatsek/sophomore)”]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]When in line at the student store, besides deciding what you want to order, do you ever wonder what it is like to work there?  Type One took a trip to the student store to ask Mary Ellen about one of the most beloved places on campus.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Looking for a new snack to change up your usual order? Mary Ellen gave us three of the most popular snacks that students buy at the store. The oh-so-popular Otis Spunkmeyer cookies are, not surprisingly, first on the list. The first bite into these perfectly baked cookies proves that these are not something worth missing out on. Junior Sara Kirschner explained, “The cookies are warm and gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside. They melt in your mouth, and they are the perfect sweet treat to buy at the student store.” While the cookies are probably the most popular snack at the store, Mary Ellen provided us with the two second and third most popular snacks. With the Terra Chips coming in second and Sour Patch Watermelon coming in third, students get a perfect balance of both a healthier, salty food and a fun, sweet and sour food.

The most popular snacks at the Student Store composed of cookies, chips, and candy (via Julia Morissey, sophomore).

However, although students may not realize it, many snacks are overlooked and barely ever purchased. The Fig Newtons, Reese’s Pieces, and Rainbow Sour Strips are three of the least bought items on the menu at the store. Many students, because of the rush to pick a snack with others waiting in line, may overlook these three snacks and many more.

Two of the least purchased Student Store products, Reese’s pieces and sour ropes (via Julia Morissey, sophomore).

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]While spending most of the time asking Mary Ellen about the most popular and least popular snacks, she also provided us with the inside scoop of what it is like doing her job. Mary Ellen mentioned, “Working here is hard, but I like it. You have to order food, then put it away, then you have to restock, then reorder, and so on and so on. Lastly, you have to try to remember what the kids like.” When asked how the students treat her, Mary Ellen responded, “The students are good, always courteous, and always nice. I have never had a problem, they’re all good kids.”

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Be sure to check out the student store, with its variety of drinks, candies, chips, and desserts. Although the student store is seemingly all about the snacks, make sure that the next time you stop by to thank Mary Ellen for all of her hard work.