Pine Crest Swimming and Diving Finish Strong

[ot-caption title=”The girls’ swimming and diving team proudly hoists their runner-up trophy at the State meet on November 15, 2014. (via Coach Fitzgerald)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/swimming.jpg”]

The Pine Crest swimming and diving teams are considered among the best in Florida, if not the country. Led by Seniors Carolyn Chaney, Lindsey Swartz, junior Austin Fields and sophomore Marta Ciesla, the Panthers were ready for success at the State meet on November 15, and they did not disappoint. The girls’ team finished second in Florida behind only Bolles School, which is considered by many to be the top team in the country.

This year, Pine Crest had four individual State champions: Senior Carolyn Chaney, who won her fourth straight gold in 1m diving, Senior Lindsey Swartz, who won the 100m breast, junior Austin Fields, who won his second consecutive 1m dive and sophomore Marta Ciesla, who won the 50m free and her second consecutive 100m free. The 200m medley relay team consisting of  Seniors Miriyam Ghali, Lindsey Swartz, Tyla Martin and sophomore Marta Ciesla won the silver medal, helping the Panthers clinch their runner up finish as a team.

Following the meet, Type One was able to speak with Senior Carolyn Chaney about her experience in her Senior year and about her goals for the next level as she officially committed to take her talents to the University of Miami.

T1: This is your fourth straight year as the State Champion for girls’ diving, how are you able to continuously stay motivated?

Carolyn: With the help of my teammates, coaches, and family, I’m always trying to better myself in the sport. Being able to represent Pine Crest and contribute points to my team is more than enough motivation for me during the season. It’s nice being able to look back on the past four years and know all my hard work has paid off.

T1: I understand you had a bit of a setback when you tore your labrum. What was it like having to deal with that as you were trying to be recruited?

Carolyn: My surgery in April was one of the most challenging events I’ve had to face in my diving career. Not being able to compete in the most important season was so hard for me to accept, but that didn’t stop me. Every single day I was at practice doing my physical therapy and working out to make sure I was going to heal and be 100% by the fall. As for the recruiting, college coaches have been following me over the years so thankfully they already knew of my talents. I did have to reach out to coaches by sending videos, and I couldn’t be happier to have ended up where I did.

T1: What was your mindset going into your final high school meet?

Carolyn: Going into the state meet was a little bit of a rocky road considering I had the flu the week before. It was a struggle trying to get my strength back in time for the meet, but I did not let that discourage me. I woke up early every morning to do my physical therapy and workouts, and I stayed focused throughout the week in my practices. I usually don’t get nervous for these meets. I couldn’t have been more excited and anxious to get in the water and dive and that showed through my performance.

T1: What are your goals as you move on to the next level to dive at the University of Miami?

Carolyn: Now that my high school season is over, I can finally start to focus on my goals for the future in diving. The University of Miami is known to produce incredible divers and, most importantly, Olympians, so that’s always been a thought in the back of my head. I definitely hope to make the national team and travel to international meets once I get into my college years.

Type One then spoke with sophomore Marta Ciesla about her hard work paying off and her success at such a young age.

T1: Because you’re only a sophomore and you’ve already won states twice, how will you keep yourself motivated?

Marta: I love the feeling of being on top. That’s my motivation. I strive to be better than my best and I am never satisfied with my races/time even if they are best times

T1: How do you prepare for every meet?

Marta: Preparing for the meet comes months in advance, usually four to five months starting out with aerobic practices (7-9000 yards/meters) and gradually as time gets closer to the meet we bring the yardage down and continue with sprinting

T1: What is your favorite memory from this season?

Marta: My favorite memory is when my 200 medley relay beat our school’s record (our own record) and beat Bolles’, too. This was at regionals and we were top seed at states, and that was an amazing yet sad moment realizing the ladies were seniors and they were all committed to a college already, so we made one of our last high school relays special that day.

T1: What are your goals for the next two years?

Marta: My goals are to win states all four years, improve my times, get into an amazing college and pursue my career there. Also, the Olympic trials are in two years, so if I could make the top eight there that would be cool, seeing as the top two make the Olympics.

All the early morning practices, extra training hours, and most importantly the hard work certainly paid off for the Panthers this year. However, despite a very successful season coming to a close, the swimmers and divers are still going strong, not faltering in their unwavering dedication to the sport. Although there will be crucial losses going into next season due to the graduation of the talented senior class, with young talent like Marta Ciesla, Jamie Flores, Brooke Bernstein, and Hunter Fields and Austin Fields to lead the way, the Panthers are poised for more success in the years to come.