Early Action Game Changer

On February, 24th 2011, Harvard and Princeton announced their return to an early admissions program. Ever since Harvard and Princeton took away their early action (EA) program and early decision (ED) program respectively in 2006, students have had to wait until the regular deadline to apply. Now, for the first time in five years, Pine Crest seniors capitalized on the opportunity to apply EA to Harvard and Princeton.

Initially, Harvard and Princeton took away their early admission programs in order to accommodate students from modest backgrounds and low-income families. While these students couldn’t compare financial aid packages, they did not want to lock themselves into one school and therefore miss an opportunity for a better financial aid package. Also, without guidance counselors and knowledge of the benefits of applying early to a school, many of these students simply applied to college regular decision. Therefore, Harvard and Princeton didn’t want to put these students at a disadvantage.

Ironically, the same group of students that Harvard and Princeton accommodated in 2006 is being accommodated now with a return to an early admissions program. These students are pressured especially because of the economy to get into college and without early admissions programs, Harvard and Princeton lost many applicants to other schools with early decision programs. Recruits in particular applied to other colleges because of the commitment that they have to make with different schools and the opportunity to apply to those schools EA/ED.

The effects of the changes in the admissions programs of Harvard and Princeton affect the dynamics of students applying to early admissions programs among the top schools.

“Mainly the decision-making process will be a lot easier for students,” commented guidance counselor, Ari Worthman, “they won’t have to sacrifice an early application anymore if they are interested in applying to Harvard and Princeton.”

The impacts that these new EA programs have on other schools are unclear, but some student who are applying to Yale perceive these changes to be advantageous.

“I’m ecstatic!!” replied Winfield “Joel” Brown when asked about how he felt the about the change in early admissions programs, “Since Harvard and Princeton now offer early action programs, Yale will receive around one third of the applicants that it used to get. Therefore it works out really well for me since I’ll have a higher chance of getting into Yale which is the school I want to go to.”

Overall, the EA changes have been embraced with positive reactions. Intended to make the process of applying to college less stressful, the EA changes provides students with a chance for an early acceptance without the commitment of having to attend the school.