10 Things to Look Forward To

Although we experienced many enjoyable and memorable events during the first semester, this semester has been a stressful one for many students. Whether it be making up postponed tests due to Hurricane Ian and Nicole, preparing for Homecoming festivities, or filling out college applications, high-school students around campus were busy working hard throughout August, September, and October. Although the busiest part of the year is over for many, the second semester holds a lot in store. Here are 10 things that we can all look forward to during the end of this semester as we transition into the second semester.

Sweater Party
Last year, the Upper School celebrated the holiday season and kicked off midterm week with Dr. Markham’s Good Luck Breakfast. We can look forward to another delicious breakfast with hot cocoa, treats, and an ugly sweater dress down day. Students across grade levels enjoy taking a break from the stress of midterms. This will take place in the Upper School from 8:10 to 8:53. Leah Walters ’24 stated, “I think it’s a really fun way to destress before exams.” Make sure to have your ugly sweaters ready.

Finishing Midterms
There is nothing better than walking out of your last midterm, knowing that a two-week break is ahead and a new semester is on the horizon. Fortunately, there is only one more month of intense study until that feeling arises. So, hang on tight and get excited for December 16th!

New Sports Seasons
Throughout October, everyone’s focus has been on the fall sports seasons, especially our football team, who won homecoming. However, the new sports season is here, including hockey, basketball, soccer, and weightlifting.

Cold-fronts
Starting in December, the normally humid South Florida weather can dip into the 40s during the nighttime. Not only do we get a nice, cool breeze, but students get to wear jeans or sweatpants to school. It is important to bundle up, especially since we are not used to the cold weather here in Florida.

Fort Lauderdale Boat Show
On December 10th, 2022, the city of Fort Lauderdale will be holding a holiday boat show. Non-motored vehicles will have a pre-show starting at 6 p.m., and the main show begins at 6:30 p.m. Make sure to bring a sweater and blanket to enjoy the decor.

Christmas
Since school ends for winter break on December 16th, people within the Pine Crest community who celebrate Christmas have a whole week to travel and meet up with family and friends before celebrating the holiday. At this time of the year, people are already getting into the Christmas spirit, looking forward to sitting around the Christmas tree with their family, a joyous time that people cherish. What is better than watching a Christmas movie with a mug of hot cocoa?

Hanukkah
Hanukkah begins relatively late this year, with the first candle being lit on December 18th. Whether it is spending time with family, celebrating the holidays history, or opening gifts, there is always something to look forward to during this festival of lights. Even if you do not celebrate, being surrounded by others who do celebrate is uplifting.

Multicultural Assembly
Everyone’s favorite day, Multicultural Day, is approaching. Clubs will perform in this assembly with different acts, dances, songs, etc. Students get so excited to watch their friends perform on stage and represent different cultures.

Prom Preparations
Although Junior and Senior Prom is not until the spring of the second semester, some juniors are already taking the initiative to begin the process of picking the prom theme. When the second semester begins, everyone gets so excited for Prom. Some students begin searching for their dresses very far in advance.

Being a Second-Semester Senior
For seniors, this first semester has been long and hard while preparing for college applications. It is not uncommon to hear about the late nights that come with filling out the common application from peers and fellow seniors here at Pine Crest. However, graduation is on the horizon, and many things are planned for the class of 2023 to celebrate their hard work and effort this coming semester!