Pro Athletes- Why We Strive to Be Like the Best

The Panther’s Football Team does their pre-game ritual at the Homecoming Pep Rally.

It was a sad night for Allen Iverson of the Philadelphia 76ers on May 7, 2002, after the Boston Celtics had defeated his team in the first round of the playoffs.  The 76ers franchise player was now set to face the media to address his team’s early playoff departure, as well as reports from his coach that he had missed many team practices. Iverson, notorious for dressing informally off the court, was wearing a baseball cap, baggy shorts, and a T-shirt while he delivered this speech: “We’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice.”

I don’t know if you realize it, but do you know just how significant Iverson’s comments actually are?  Whether you admit it or not, professional athletes have a tremendous impact on athletes all around the world, especially here at the Pine.  We are influenced by these athletes on a variety of levels, including the things we wear on the field, the ways we conduct ourselves both on and off the field, the ways we perform as a team, our mentality, our mannerisms, our team rituals, and much more.

Reconsidering Iverson’s comments, let’s look at the message he is sending across the nation.  First off, just his physical appearance alone makes a statement about his un-professionalism and lackadaisical attitude he has towards his sport.  Luckily, the PC basketball team makes a conscious effort to look classy on game-days.  Secondly, Iverson sets an awful example to student athletes around the world about the idea of practice being unimportant.  As it is often preached, Ray Bradbury once said, “I know you’ve heard it a thousand times before.  But it’s true – hard work pays off.  If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice.”

Many other athletes have significant impacts on sports here at Pine Crest.  Just a few include the NBA’s LeBron James, the NFL’s Ray Lewis, the MLB’s Derek Jeter, and many, many others.  What makes these athletes so admirable?  It is not only their great skill that makes them influential role models, but also the respectable manner in which they present themselves in competition.  For example, fashion is one of the ways that “the pros” influence us.  PC athletes are always trying to show off their gear, including shoes, cleats, and many other equipment that professional athletes successfully endorse.  Come on, who doesn’t want to be balling in their LeBron Nike kicks, or score a goal in the same flashy cleats Lionel Messi wears, or even display their hipster glasses that so many athletes trend in their post game press conferences?

In addition, professional athletes do not only influence us individually but also as a team.  All athletes strive to compete like the best players at the top.  One way we especially try to be like “the pros” is by learning from their team comradery, chemistry, and sense of togetherness that is so effective.  Specifically, pre-game rituals or routines are a part of the team experience that we have taken from.  Like how football player Ray Lewis gives some of the most motivational pre-game speeches, the Panther’s football team also has their own pre-game ritual, which it displayed at the Homecoming Pep Rally (showed in picture).

Overall, when I asked Pine Crest athletes around the school how professional athletes most influence them, they all gave a common answer- motivation and inspiration.  Baseball star Chandler Cissel told me, “Professional athletes are great idols to look up to.  They play the game at a high level and they play it the right way.”  Also, when asked to explain how professional athletes most influence his sport (basketball), Ben Schecter (aka “The Microwave”) told me, “NBA players influence most things we do.  Whether it is their style of play or what they wear, we try to be like the best”.  Lastly, Joao Nunes, who is a member of the soccer team, told me his playing style is mostly influenced by the athletes he sees on TV.  Joao said, “[Professional athletes] influence mostly my playing style.  Since soccer does not come easy if you’re tall, I like watching the tall players and seeing what they do that I could learn from in order to make me a better player.”

So as clearly proven above, professional athletes have a tremendous impact on sports at the high school level, especially here at Pine Crest.  The way that  athletes at the top play and conduct themselves most directly trickles down to the college, high school, junior high school, and  even youth levels.  Why is it that we are constantly trying to duplicate what we see from the professional level?  Why do we want to salsa like Victor Cruz when we score a touchdown?  Why do we have the desire to copy the “sick move” we saw on television last night?  Why is it we strive to be like these people who are paid millions and millions of dollars to just play ball?  Simple- they know what it takes to win.