Thanksgiving Traditions

Some Thanksgiving traditions include football, pilgrim floats at the Macy’s Day Parade, and the food.

[ot-caption title=”Several classic Thanksgiving staples. (via Ava Goldstone, sophomore)”]

Traditions: an enormously popular aspect of Thanksgiving, which most American families have their own way of celebrating. Every year friends and family gather and indulge in a big community meal, just like the Pilgrims did in 1620. Whether the holiday is celebrated with an old-fashioned turkey and classic side dishes or with new recipes that reflect current food trends like kale and gluten free foods, this food-filled holiday will leave you as stuffed as a turkey when the night comes to an end.  Food isn’t the only tradition-filled aspect of this holiday though, there are countless other ways to keep within the Thanksgiving spirit.

Eating a Thanksgiving meal that revolves around turkey is an American tradition that dates back centuries. According to the National Turkey Federation, 95% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving.   There are also some classic side dishes that are on most dining room tables such as mashed potatoes and gravy and stuffing.  Sophomore Sabrina Wittich  said, “On Thanksgiving, an ongoing food that is served on our dining room table has always been mashed potatoes.” The traditions created by a holiday such as Thanksgiving can connect families in more ways than one.

Thanksgiving has always been the perfect excuse to sit down with loved ones and enjoy a giant, delicious meal, but the holiday is about much more than just the food. Senior Bianca Tedesco, reminisces about her family holiday traditions.  She says, “Every Thanksgiving, the first thing we do is not to grab a big turkey leg and start eating.  We grab the TV remote and turn on a football game.  It’s a custom that has been occurring in my house for generations.” Throughout the United States, football has become a huge aspect of the Thanksgiving Day celebration. Whether it is watching a rivalry game in the family living room or going out in the fresh air and throwing the ball around, football can be seen as a ritual during this time of year. For more than seven decades, the Detroit Lions have played a regular-season game on Thanksgiving Day, which has made the team a part of Thanksgiving as much as the turkey itself. The tradition is, in fact, older than 24 current NFL franchises!

The most popular holiday parade in America, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade NY, has been a Big Apple tradition since 1924. Attracting more than 3.5 million people to the streets of New York City each year, as well 50 million TV viewers nationwide, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade has become so synonymous with Thanksgiving tradition that it’s often called simply “The Macy’s Day Parade.” The first-ever Macy’s Day Parade actually took place on Christmas of 1924. Macy’s employees dressed as clowns, cowboys, and other fun costumes, and traveled with Central Park Zoo animals and creative floats a lengthy six miles from Herald Square to Harlem in Manhattan. Today, the parade can be seen on TV or in person, as the elaborate balloons are showcased and the floats, including passengers and even sometimes special performances, are dispayed.

One of the most important aspects of Thanksgiving is the time spent with family. The best part of all these traditions is how they bring families together, making the holiday about much more than watching the Macy’s Day Parade on TV, throwing a football around, or gorging oneself on turkey. Thanksgiving is truly about spending valuable time with loved ones and being thankful for everything one has. Regardless of the traditions you choose to embrace, we wish you all the happiest of Thanksgivings!

Cartoon11:21:15
by Leah Simon

Source: NYC Tourist, USA Football, People, Wikipedia