Renewed or Cancelled?

[ot-caption title=” How To Get Away With Murder is one of the many shows that has yet to be officially renewed. (via Liza Goldstone, freshman)”]

Even though the spring TV season just started, networks are already starting to annouce their renewals and cancellations for next year’s television season. Many viewers will be disappointed to learn that Castle, Duck Dynasty, Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth, Teen Wolf, and the Vampire Diaries all will not make an appearance on their TVs next season as their networks did not renew them. However, favorites like Game of Thrones, Jane the Virgin, Big Brother, The Blacklist, and House of Cards have been renewed and are returning for another season this year. Here are a few of TV’s biggest renewals. [spacer height=”20px”]

This is Us [spacer height=”20px”]

One of TV’s hottest new shows has been renewed for season 2 and 3. This is Us debuted this fall to rave reviews and had the highest viewership for any new TV show this year. It is now Fox’s second highest rated drama after Empire, and it looks like Fox is betting on the show to continue its success. The drama has multiple story lines that focus on people whose lives are somewhat connected because they are all born on the same birthday. [spacer height=”20px”]

Game of Thrones[spacer height=”20px”]

It is official. Game of Thrones season seven is set to premiere sometime this summer. Although there is a lot of excitement about this season, it will consist of eight episodes and have new characters that are sure to impress. No specific information about the new season has been released yet, but it is sure to contain a lot of suspense. Although it has not been confirmed by HBO, actors from the show have said that this season will be the penultimate and that the eighth and final season will only have six episodes.  [spacer height=”20px”]

Jane the Virgin[spacer height=”20px”]

Our favorite modern telenovela has been renewed and is finishing off its third season between January and February of this year. The hit CW show starring Gina Rodriguez made a splash when it premiered and Rodriguez won the Emmy for best actress in a TV comedy. The drama between the love triangle of Jane, Michael and Rafael is sure to intensify, and with the addition of the murder case in the last couple of seasons, audiences may not be able to predict what will happen next.[spacer height=”20px”]

Big Brother[spacer height=”20px”]

Seasons 19 and 20 of Big Brother have been renewed by CBS to be played during the summers of 2017 and 2018. Big Brother is a game show that confines a group of contestants in a house with no contact to the outside world as they compete for a $500,000 prize. Drama unfolds and alliances are made allowing the person with the best strategy to be able to win.[spacer height=”20px”]

Even though many shows have been renewed, there are even more that are still on the line. While Shonda Rhime’s extremely popular TGIT trio of Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, and Grey’s Anatomy have not been officially renewed, it is safe to say that these shows will not be absent from TV next year. However fans of QuanticoHawaii Five-0, and the many other unrenewed shows have to be on the lookout to see if their favorite shows will be returning next year.[spacer height=”20px”]

Sources: EOnline.com, TVline.com, DigitalSpy.com[spacer height=”20px”]