Finally an Apology for Vanessa Williams

[ot-caption title=”The 2015 Miss America contestants. (via, Wikimedia/Rich Smith)”]

After years of waiting, Vanessa Williams was finally presented with a public apology on stage Sunday September 13, 2015 at the Miss America Pageant.  For what you may ask?  The televised apology was for a scandal that occurred over three decades ago. Being the first African American women crowned as Miss America in 1983, her reign only lasted 10 months before she was stripped of her title due to a nude photo scandal. Some found the revocation of her title to be unjust because the nude photos of Williams, published by Penthouse magazine, were taken prior to her Miss America win.

Having built herself a career in the music industry and as an actress in film and theater, her life was finally thriving again once she recovered from the scandal. Williams continued to regain respect and recognition as a successful woman, receiving countless Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Award nominations.  After having her pageant title taken from her, she never would have dreamed of returning to the Miss America stage until now.

Vanessa Williams performing at the 2015 Miss America Pageant. (via Google/Flickr)
Vanessa Williams performing at the 2015 Miss America Pageant. (via Flickr/Ida Mae Astute)

To the surprise of many, Williams agreed to be a judge for the 2015 Miss America Pageant.  But it didn’t stop there.  During the magical night, after her performance, she was joined on stage by the current Miss America Pageant CEO, Sam Haskell, who publicly apologized to Williams on behalf of the Miss America family.

In front of millions of viewers, Haskell delivered the following to Vanessa Williams, “I have been a close friend to this beautiful and talented lady for 32 years. You have lived your life in grace and dignity, and never was it more evident than during the events of 1984 when you resigned. Though none of us currently in the organization were involved then, on behalf of today’s organization, I want to apologize to you and to your mother, Miss Helen Williams. I want to apologize for anything that was said or done that made you feel any less than the Miss America you are and the Miss America you always will be.”  Williams has waited more than three decades for this moment.

Some viewed this apology as an incredible gesture, but others saw it as a cry for attention from the Miss America Pageant. Many people, including some Pine Crest students possess opposing view points on the topic. Sophomore Hannah Burnstein commented, “I think that things like this have happened before and the organization chose to issue an apology now just to increase ratings.” On the contrary, Sophomore Caroline Adkins said, “I feel like today’s organization was truly sorry for what Williams went through 30 years ago, and bringing her on stage for a public apology was a genuine way of showing it.”

To this day, Williams is still highly regarded as a singer, actress, model, and so much more. Although the apology came 32 years late, Vanessa Williams finally received the recognition and acknowledgment from the Miss America Pageant that she deserved.

Source: The New York Times, Wikipedia